"Powered by phpBB"

The Exclusive Discussion Forum for phpBB Weekly Podcast show hosted by Douglas Bell (Fountain of Apples/Webmacster87) and David Lewis (Highway of Life)

Moderator: webmacster87

"Powered by phpBB"

Postby SamT » 05 Sep 2009, 00:13

I took the last podcast to heart and I noticed quite a few things here. I was curous to how many people in my area actually used phpBB, so I tried this google search:

Code: Select all
Sacramento "Powered by phpBB"

746,000 results. Holy crap, there are that many instances where my city's name is associated with the phpBB footer.

Then I tried others:
San Francisco: 1,970,000 Results
Los Angeles: 2,380,000 Results
Seattle: 1,640,000 Results
New York: 9,730,000 Results
Chicago: 4,270,00 Results
Dallas: 2,740,00 Results
Miami: 2,420,000 Results

Yes, you can see a few results are from the location field and even the San Francisco topic on phpbb.com, but scroll down, many of the results are LOCAL things. There are loads of people out there, it only confirms the "the word is not getting out" notion we have been hearing.

It seems like all the solutions seem universally... generic. Facebook, Twitter, etc, the problem is, not everyone uses theses things or are friends with people who do. Google "<your city name> Events" and see what sort of listing methods some of these people are using. They should be local, that's the point. If we can find a way to get the word out based on the event's locale, it may attract more interest.

On that note, how about more conventions? OSCON was 'on go' sort of meetup, where Douglas organized the elements as we were needed (he did a great job at it given the amount of time and resources available). One thing we can all learn about OSCON, is that people actually come to these conventions, but are there are other, more local events that some of us devoted phpBB users can spawn some grassroots efforts to aid in getting word out there?

Just my thoughts on the situation... :)

EDIT: I almost forgot, You want to start up a website Douglas? I will work for the best price: Free :D
phpbbevents.com maybe?
SamT    
phpBB Team Member
phpBB Team Member

Favorite Team: SF 49ers
phpBB Knowledge: 9

Re: "Powered by phpBB"

Postby Hank the Cowdog » 05 Sep 2009, 14:27

1,850 results for Mead, WA. 392,000 results for Spokane. :shock:
~Hank the Cowdog, Jordan
Section 31 Admiral

Hank the Cowdog    
Section 31 Admiral
Section 31 Admiral

Location: Latitude/Longitude: REDACTED. ACCESS RESTRICTED TO LEVEL 9 SECURITY CLEARANCE
Favorite Team: Seattle Seahawks
phpBB Knowledge: 5

Postby webmacster87 » 05 Sep 2009, 14:36

It's worth noting that just because you get a city name and "Powered by phpBB" on the same page, it doesn't necessarily mean the forum is based there. Heck, every page someone's location is listed within a forum represents a result. I alone am responsible for close to 4,000 Powered by phpBB Washington, DC results thanks to Washington, DC being my listed location on phpBB.com and here.
webmacster87    
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

phpBB Knowledge: 8

Postby SamT » 05 Sep 2009, 15:48

webmacster87 wrote:It's worth noting that just because you get a city name and "Powered by phpBB" on the same page, it doesn't necessarily mean the forum is based there. Heck, every page someone's location is listed within a forum represents a result. I alone am responsible for close to 4,000 Powered by phpBB Washington, DC results thanks to Washington, DC being my listed location on phpBB.com and here.

Yeah, there are duplicates, and even naming cities here will eventually let Google associate the city names with STG, but the point is to look through and see what comes up exactly, I found at least 15 different sites that are based in my city running phpBB, the point is, I am beginning to see there are phpBB admins closer to home then most people tend to believe.
SamT    
phpBB Team Member
phpBB Team Member

Favorite Team: SF 49ers
phpBB Knowledge: 9

Postby Hippie459MN » 30 Nov 2009, 10:43

I never thought to try that. I just found a few forums that look very interesting that are in my area. :D

Thanks. :thumbsup:
Hippie459MN    
Supporter
Supporter

Favorite Team: Your moms team
phpBB Knowledge: 6

Postby 123Alex » 06 Aug 2010, 03:09

i google Powered by phpBB Romania and i found 810.000 results..wow..
123Alex
Crewman
Crewman

phpBB Knowledge: 7

Postby melvinrouger » 20 Nov 2011, 19:37

Not just 8 hundred thousand or something but more of that I found many sites that is powered by phpBB and take note it is very nice sites.
melvinrouger    
Crewman
Crewman

phpBB Knowledge: 6

Postby tylerehrman598 » 25 Nov 2011, 22:59

phpBB sites are very great that's why many viewers really love this site even me I also liked and loved this site.
tylerehrman598    
Crewman
Crewman

phpBB Knowledge: 5

Return to phpBB Weekly Podcast