If anyone else has the problem where the mod doesn't seem to install, read below.
I followed all the instructions, did the edits as described, moved the files over, and then visit "any page" on my site (I used the index and viewforum). I then went into the ACP, set the permissions, refreshed the template and then purged the cache and low and behold the module did not show up in the board config menu. I went into the acp module manager and noticed the module was indeed installed so then I went into MyPHPAdmin and looked and confirmed the db's were there and they were.
This was really frustrating at this point but I assumed it had to be because of the extreme amount of modding I do so I started looking around and found a toolkit in development by the great folks at Star Trek Guide (The phpBB Academy) called the STK (Support Tool Kit). It is currently only available for download in SVN due to its beta status but the tools I wanted were:
- Fix left/right ids
A tool to repair the left and right ids of modules and forums.
Re-add module management
Re-enables the the system and module management modules in the ACP.
Remove duplicate permissions.
I LOVE IT!
I must mention here that before I tried this tool, as with anything else that edits the DB in any way. I backed up my database. ALWAYS BACKUP FIRST!
First I ran the tool to fix the left/right id's since I thought this might be the issue but when that didn't work I just decided to run the other two and then see if they worked so I did the duplicate permission removal and the Re-Add Module Management modules.
The mod was working great. I could see the mod now in the ACP like I should and everything is fine now.
Great mod eXreaction.