- Allows different websites with different domain names to connect to one phpbb3 installation and database
- Phpbb3 detects which sites you want to access depending on the domain name (or sub-domain) that you type in
- Each site can have a different set of forums and template so they can have a unique look and feel. You?ll only access those forums through that domain.
- One login and user allows access to all the sites on a phpbb3 installation (Though groups define what they can do)
- Extensive admin panel, allows individual site owners to manage their site separately from other sites on the phpbb3 installation (Though there are also controls for global administrators/ moderators)
- Global Forums ? Certain forums can be accessible by all the different sites on a phpbb3 installation (Though a site owner can turn off certain global forums via the admin panel)
- As little modification to the phpbb3 core code as possible so it will work seamlessly with other mods.
This is version 0.1.0a, and includes the basic concept. The demo is well tested but there may be problems with the modx itself. Expect a change to permissions in a soon to be release 0.1.0b. 0.2.0 will have some form of portal integration.
The XML mod file:
A demo (and explanation of the demo) is located at: http://reality.thevr.co.uk/dev/thevr/vi ... p?f=14&t=2
These are the sites:
However the websites http://www.runuo.com and http://www.connectuo.com are examples of something similar to what we are trying to achieve. Those two domains connect to the same database (but have different forums) so you only need one login for both sites (Certain scripts on that forum are linked to the profile).
We are developing it at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/thevr/
Where can I find more information?
Feel free to ask us question in this thread. However we also have a support board located here
How is this useful?
It allows two separate sites to keep separate ?corporate identities? whilst they able to share resources. It will be a useful platform for other mods. (For example different Half-life Clans forming an alliance and sharing a Knowledge Base of strategies (using a Knowledge base mod), whilst maintaining separate identities and websites).
We are calling this ?TheVR? as its specifically designed for our Youth Group?s Website where we have multiple Church congregations linked in one ?parish? (Area and building). We have different needs and want to look different but we share many members in real life, so want a site that shares users and resources. However, the mods we build for this website we hope will be useful for anyone.
Why post it here
Well any help anyone wants to offer would be greatly appreciated! If people do seem interested here I could post some questions but we are currently working out how to most effectively deal with the administration of individual sites whilst modifying the core phpbb3 code as little as possible.