Upgrading from RC1 to most recent

Support for upgrading any version of your phpBB3 installation
Forum rules
READ: StarTrekGuide.com Board Rules

Support for upgrading any version of phpBB3 to the most recent version.

Upgrading from RC1 to most recent

Postby Oof » 25 Jul 2009, 16:30

Hi,

I tried upgrading my phpBB 3.0RC1 (yeah I know, I didn't bother for quite a while) to the latest version. Since I (obviously) couldn't find a suitableupgrade package I went with the full package and tried to use the database_upgrade thingie.

However, it doesn't seem to work with RC1, instead i get a message I should read the install docs. So now I end up with a deleted board (the files, the database is still intact), which I cannot even revert to RC1 because I didn't backup the old files except for the config.php

What I my chances to get out of this mess?

Thanks in advance
Oof
Crewman
Crewman

phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide
Support STG
Using PayPal Donate

Re: Upgrading from RC1 to most recent

Postby Highway of Life » 25 Jul 2009, 17:30

yikes! BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! The number one most important rule in updating.
Okay, so you do not have a file backup, but you do have your database intact at RC1, correct? PLEASE immediately backup your database now to avoid any further problems, we can then work from there.

The files themselves are not a big deal because you will basically be replacing all your files with phpBB 3.0.5 files. But for the sake of the update script, you will want to download the phpBB3 RC1 files and replace your current files with then. Ensure you don't overwrite your /files/ (attachments) or /images/ (avatars and others) or your config.php file. Be sure to backup your files and database first.

Next, download the RC1 to RC2 updater.
Run the update.
Go to the phpBB3 Download files, you'll want to download the 3.0.RC8 to 3.0.0 package, and run the update. It will update the database from RC2 to 3.0.0 stable. At this stage, download the 3.0.0 files and completely replace all of your files again.
You should then be able to download the next package, the 3.0.4 to 3.0.5 update package, again run the update and it will update your database from 3.0.0 to 3.0.5, and again replace your files with files from 3.0.5 and you're up to date!

Let us know how it goes.
Watch out! I might do a code wheelie!

Highway of Life    
STG Jedi Master
STG Jedi Master

phpBB Knowledge: 10

Re: Upgrading from RC1 to most recent

Postby Oof » 27 Jul 2009, 02:44

Hi!

First of all, thank you very much for your quick response.
Since I did have at least a very recent database backup, I was able to get back to where I started (RC1) while moving servers, which I originally wanted to do after upgrading to 3.0.5.
So at least there was no harm done after all.

However, I can't get the update to work. Using the RC1 to RC2 update, I get an error message saying I'm running RC4 (?) and that it couldn't proceed.
Oof
Crewman
Crewman

Return to phpBB3 upgrade support