3.0.5 to 3.0.6 - No such directory ?

Support for upgrading any version of your phpBB3 installation
Forum rules
READ: StarTrekGuide.com Board Rules

Support for upgrading any version of phpBB3 to the most recent version.

3.0.5 to 3.0.6 - No such directory ?

Postby gr00vytunes » 03 Feb 2010, 14:42

Now this is doing my head in! lol

I am running my own phpbb 3.0.5 board I have also installed phpbb 3.0.6 for 5 of my members under sub domains on the same server and all installs went fine, including the one this evening!

Now as i mentioned I am on 3.0.5 I have upgraded before using the automated package not having any mods I upload the install folder to root/phpbb3 and then navigate from within the system tab, error:The requested URL /phpbb3/install was not found on this server.

so I check my FTP program and I can see the install directory, i can see the files uploaded successfully but when i select the directory in the FTP program it says Failed to retrieve directory listing, directory does not exist, hmm odd i can see it.

I have now downloaded the update 3 times, uploaded it to my host 4 times and i still cannot perform an update. But I can run a brand new install using the same FTP connection into a subfolder!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
gr00vytunes
Supporter
Supporter

Favorite Team: Liverpool
phpBB Knowledge: 3

phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide
Support STG
Using PayPal Donate

Re: 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 - No such directory ?

Postby CoC » 03 Feb 2010, 15:10

Possible corruption or incorrect permissions

Try deleting the install folder and re-uploading and check the permissions are correct at 0755.
CoC    
MOD Author
MOD Author

Favorite Team: Coventry City
phpBB Knowledge: 8

Postby gr00vytunes » 03 Feb 2010, 16:46

Tried that a few times... changed the permissions this time but still the same problem..
gr00vytunes
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gr00vytunes » 13 Mar 2010, 09:12

an update to this rather peculiar problem!

I have tried uploading the install folder of the automatic update package from 3.0.5 to 3.0.7-PL1 using Filezilla on windows 7, this failed again so i tried it on a different PC using Filezilla and Windows XP. That ruled out any problems with the PC doing the upload.

The permissions of the Public_html folder are 711 and the phpbb3 directory is 755

I created a folder call install and set the permissions of it to 755 and uploaded the contents of the local install folder that failed, i also created permissions on empty install folder to 777 and again uploading the contents failed.

I tried to upload again from scratch the install folder it all goes through ok, so what i did was created a temp local folder and did a download of the install folder i had just uploaded, considering the install folder contains 562 files/folders the download was only 31 !

Final test I created a folder in the root of public_html called tempphpinstall and then uploaded the install folder to it, I then repeated the step above to download it back to a local folder to see how many files/folders were there, It worked fine all files and folders were present !

I tried to drag and drop the install folder from the servers temp location direct into the phpbb3 folder and guess what it didnt work again!

I hope i have managed to explain it well enough for someone to see what is wrong...

Thanks
gr00vytunes
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gr00vytunes » 19 Apr 2010, 09:44

As a matter of interest the Hosting Company have worked on finding out the issue and they believe there is a phpbb3 script monitoring and removing the install folder.

When you do a brand new install phpbb3 removes the install folder for you? Could this be stuck in a loop preventing you from adding or uploading the install folder?

Incidently any other folder you create e.g. install2 is fine, the only issue I have is the install folder itself!
gr00vytunes
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chaoskreator » 19 Apr 2010, 11:40

Negative, the software does not remove the installation directory for you. After successful installation, there's a notice that pops up warning you to remove the install directory.

Very interesting problem. If you don't mind sharing your FTP info, I could check it out for you. Just PM me with the info.
chaoskreator    
Commander
Commander

phpBB Knowledge: 7

Postby Obsidian » 19 Apr 2010, 13:12

chaoskreator wrote:Negative, the software does not remove the installation directory for you.

I can confirm this for myself, I've taken a look at the code for the installer and it _does not_ delete the installation directory and all contents; your hosting company is blatantly incorrect. Trying to do a recursive delete in PHP is a pain enough as it is, believe me. :blackeye:
うるさいうるさいうるさい!

StopForumSpam Spam Reporting Database
Giving xrumer and friends a great big "screw you" since 2007.
Obsidian    
Supporter
Supporter

phpBB Knowledge: 10

Postby gr00vytunes » 20 Apr 2010, 06:00

Thanks for the response guys.. I have a way round it as suggested by another user over at phpbb.com

*NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*

* Upload all new files from a download of the full version, except for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
* Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
* Let that run and then delete the install folder.
* You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.

However I think I would rather create a new folder with a brand new install (i believe even uploading the latest version over the top will still cause the problem with the install folder) and then restore a backup of the current installation, does anyone have a guide of how I could do this?

Thanks
gr00vytunes
Supporter
Supporter

Postby CoC » 20 Apr 2010, 07:41

If it works using a different directory then upload the new phpBB files to a new directory called temp replace config.php with the working version from your phpBB directory then update the database delete the old phpBB directory and rename the temp one to phpBB.

does that make sense? :scratch:

You will need to chmod your temp directory when done http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/chmod-permissions/

If you have mods installed and would prefer to keep them, follow the guide here - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2149&hilit=wamp

Instead of a new install of phpBB make a backup of your installation and use that, make a back up of your database and use bigdump - http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php to import that, then run the updater.
CoC    
MOD Author
MOD Author

Favorite Team: Coventry City
phpBB Knowledge: 8

Postby gr00vytunes » 21 Apr 2010, 02:33

This is what I did...

1. Uploaded Latest version (3.0.7-PL1) into new folder called "forum"
2. Copied config.php and the active style from old "phpbb3" folder to new "forum" folder
3. Navigated to mysite/forum/install/database_update.php - this completed successfully
4. Logged onto new forum ACP and changed script path in server settings to new folder
5. Using FTP I renamed the "phpbb3" folder to "phpbb3-OLD"
6. Finally I ran "Purge Cache"

I sent a PM out to all users to let them know the board had been moved internally and I updated all of my html front end links to point to the new forum.

Has been running almost a day now and has been working fine!

Thanks for your input
gr00vytunes
Supporter
Supporter

Return to phpBB3 upgrade support