HELP. I've never upgraded before.

Support for upgrading any version of your phpBB3 installation
Forum rules
READ: StarTrekGuide.com Board Rules

Support for upgrading any version of phpBB3 to the most recent version.

HELP. I've never upgraded before.

Postby Linnysue » 28 Oct 2010, 11:37

We are running phpBB 3.0.0 and we have never upgraded. So how do I do this? I have no idea? I need detailed steps, not just "install folder to root directory" - "point browser to install folder." It's all Greek to me. Since I have not upgraded since .0, I heard I may have to install each upgrade from .1 - .7-PL1 one at a time. I have a lot of mods on my forum I DO NOT want to lose. I paid some bucks to have some of these mods installed and don't want to have to do that again if I can help it.

Someone please help me, PLEASE!
Linnysue    
Cadet II
Cadet II

phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide
Support STG
Using PayPal Donate

Re: HELP. I've never upgraded before.

Postby spaceace » 11 Jan 2011, 07:17

i just checked the phpBB site and they have an update package to update from phpBB3.0.2 to 3.0.8

i have the update packages to update from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 and from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 if that will help you
spaceace
Supporter
Supporter

phpBB Knowledge: 5

Postby King Rhyono » 11 Jan 2011, 11:05

I've seen this answered by a staff member of phpBB before. They recommend updating 3.0.0 to 3.0.4 and then 3.0.4 to 3.0.8.
King Rhyono
MOD Author
MOD Author

Postby V8Demon » 04 Jun 2011, 21:05

Hello, I'm in the same boat. The only difference s I'm currently running 3.0.2 and want to upgrade to 3.0.8.
I realize I have to backup the database ( config.php), but am wondering about page banners and whatnot......
Do I have to save these as well?

I'm really new at this as there was another person who dealt with this stuff. I was a simple admin and left the coding stuff to him as did the other admins. It's fallen on me to do this as I've familiarized myself with the ins & outs of the PHP software within the ACP and MCP and even have taught myself how to add files to the root directory. I'm VERY leery about doing this upgrade though and any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to ensure that I backup and restore all neccessary files to ensure a smooth transition. Even the guy that used to do it had a few issues.....

Thanks in advance!
V8Demon    
Crewman
Crewman

phpBB Knowledge: 1

Postby spaceace » 05 Jun 2011, 21:53

always backup your full database and files before updating. this way you can always restore your forum to the way it was before the update.

also, when updating, if you use custom styles, you might have to update them as well.

if all else fails, you could hire someone to do the update for you if you don't think that you can do it yourself.
spaceace
Supporter
Supporter

phpBB Knowledge: 5

Return to phpBB3 upgrade support