How Secure is your site? How Secure are sites you visit?

Learn about Security for code and servers. Learn how to secure your site and your code. Learn about hacking prevention, finding and identifying exploits, and recognising vulnerabilities. Plus, Weekly Security tips and Tutorials.
Forum rules
Post questions related to security, analyse and learn about vulnerabilities and exploits within code to protect yourself against hackers.

How Secure is your site? How Secure are sites you visit?

Postby mtotheikle » 30 Apr 2009, 20:08

Thursday afternoon Twitter CEO Biz Stone confirmed that a Admin Twitter account was breached Wednesday afternoon. While the breach was not because of script vulnerabilities such as SQL, xss or a backdoor. It was simply because the hacker was able to gain access to this users Yahoo account which held his Twitter password. More information on this can be found here: http://www.macworld.com/article/140348/ ... _hack.html.

How can you prevent an attack like this?

Obviously the best way to secure your account is too create secure, hard to guess, passwords. If you haven't read "Protect your sites with real passwords" by Jeff, AKA Topdown, I would recommend it. On your own site you can make sure users have secure passwords by creating password requirements and also advising or forcing any users with special privileges on your site to change their password every 60 days or so.

As always, never think you are safe from someone trying to breach your account however they may try to gain access, always change your passwords, use different passwords on every site, and even change you security questions once in awhile.
"You have a lifetime to learn technique. But I can teach you what is more important than technique: How to see. Learn that and all you have to do afterwards is press the shutter." - Garry Winogrand

I have turned into a Military Sergeant and Highway of Life and Handyman are my newest privates under my command. Don't be scared anyone, this is all for your good!

mtotheikle    
Supporter
Supporter

Favorite Team: Seahawks
phpBB Knowledge: 10

Return to Security Class