Star Trek's William Shatner Reveals If He'd Return as Captain Kirk
William Shatner may no longer be playing James T. Kirk in Star Trek's Kelvin timeline, but that doesn’t mean he doesn't want to return as the character.
In an interview with KOMO Newsradio, Shatner expressed interest in returning to the role he first played in 1966. “I certainly would," he replied when asked if he'd consider returning as Captain Kirk. "You know? A well written thing? I certainly would. Absolutely.”
Kirk died in 1994's Star Trek: Generations, which proved controversial for many fans of the series. However, there's always the possibility a younger version of the character could appear at some point, as with Spock on Star Trek: Discovery.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
In 2018, Shatner said he wouldn't want to star in a new Star Trek series, but didn't rule out the possibility of a cameo. He reiterated that sentiment in an interview earlier this year. His answer to the question does leave some ambiguity about whether he's changed his mind on that front, but it still seems unlikely Shatner will star in a Kirk spinoff anytime soon. Star Trek: The Next Generation lead Sir Patrick Stewart will reprise his role for his own solo series later this year.
Debuting later this year on CBS All Access, Star Trek: Picard stars Patrick Stewart, Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera and Harry Treadaway.
More on this: 623 stories
- Star Trek Head Alex Kurtzman Explains How Star Wars Influenced His Approach to the Franchise
- Star Trek: Section 31 Plans to Begin Filming Immediately After Discovery Season 3 Wraps
- Star Trek's Alex Kurtzman Has a 5 to 10 Year Plan for the Franchise
- Alex Kurtzman Updates Us on Future of Star Trek Television
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 Mission to Include 2 Animated Episodes
- Alex Kurtzman wants Star Trek to appeal to a younger demographic
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Link Tank: An Anthony Bourdain Food Trail Has Grand Opening
- Alice Eve Returns as Carol Marcus for Star Trek Fleet Command
- Star Trek: Alex Kurtzman Addresses Discovery Spock & Pike Future
- Tarantino Star Trek must be Canon, Regardless of any Ratings
- Star Trek Miniature Phaser At San Diego Comic Con
- Star Trek: Section 31 Spinoff To Film After Discovery Season 3
- Star Trek: The 10 Most Heartbreaking Deaths, Ranked
- A Look Back: The Next Generation
- Star Trek EP Says He's Mapped Out The Franchise's Next 5 To 10 Years
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- "Star Trek: Picard": Jonathan Frakes' Directing Duties Have Wrapped
- Star Trek: Picard EP Teases Series' Ensemble Cast
- Several Animated Star Trek Projects Will Be Aimed at Kids
- Kurtzman On The Future Of Star Trek
- Is Star Trek about to have its very own Last Jedi moment?
- Kurtzman Talks Busy "Star Trek" TV Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Showrunner Thinking About the Enterprise's Return
- Hallmark announces 2019 convention exclusive Star Trek ornament