Star Trek: Marina Sirtis Reveals How a Deep Space Nine Actor Her Helped Her Get Cast In The Next Generation
Marina Sirtis played ship’s counselor Deanna Troi, the half-Betazed empath, throughout seven seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation and four movies. Now she’s revealed that she may never have gotten the job without the help of a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine cast member.
That seems a little confusing since The Next Generation launched years before Deep Space Nine, but the relationship between these two actors pre-dates either show. Today happens to be James Darren’s birthday. Sirtis offered him birthday wishes on Twitter, revealing Darren got her the first job she ever landed when she first moved to Los Angeles.
“The wonderful James Darren gave me my first job in Hollywood. Thanks Jimmy. If it hadn’t been for you I wouldn’t be where I am today,” Sirtis tweeted. “He cast me in a show called Hunter five days after I arrived in Hollywood. The money I earned enabled me to stay in Los Angeles for my Star Trek auditions.”
From there, Sirtis joined the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation as Deanna Troi. Years later, Darren joined the Star Trek family as the holographic lounge singer Vic Fontaine on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
The story of The Next Generation's captain, Jean-Luc Picard, will continue in Star Trek: Picard starring Patrick Stewart. Sirtis has said that she isn't involved and knows nothing about the show
Marina Sirtis added that “None of us knows anything. They’re guarding that show like the nuclear codes.”0comments
Jonathan Frakes, Sirtis and Stewart's The Next Generation co-star who is directing the third and fourth episodes of the new show, has said, “The feeling is we would love to be part of it. But the feeling is also that it’s Patrick’s show. [Laughs.] Having said that, I can’t imagine a world where there’s no reference to what happened to the rest of The Next Generation cast. Patrick isn’t playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard this time, he’s done with [that phase of his career in] Starfleet in this show. That’s about the only thing I do know about the show. Patrick and I had a steak dinner a couple of weeks ago and this man, who I’ve known for 31 years now, is so excited about this show he’s like a little kid. It’s fabulous! He’s thrilled and excited to be invited into the writer’s room and he’s a producer on the show and he’s part of the development of the story arc. It’s terrific. I mean he is a guy who is fully engaged.”
What do you think of James Darren being partly responsible for Marina Sirtis playing Deanna Troi? Let us know in the comments.
Have you subscribed to ComicBook Nation, the official Podcast of ComicBook.com yet? Check it out by clicking here or listen below.
In this latest episode we go all-in on X-Men: Dark Phoenix, Swamp Thing's cancellation, DC Universe fallout and more! Make sure to subscribe now to never miss an episode!
More on this: 623 stories
- Star Trek Head Alex Kurtzman Explains How Star Wars Influenced His Approach to the Franchise
- Star Trek: Section 31 Plans to Begin Filming Immediately After Discovery Season 3 Wraps
- Star Trek's Alex Kurtzman Has a 5 to 10 Year Plan for the Franchise
- Alex Kurtzman Updates Us on Future of Star Trek Television
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 Mission to Include 2 Animated Episodes
- Alex Kurtzman wants Star Trek to appeal to a younger demographic
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Link Tank: An Anthony Bourdain Food Trail Has Grand Opening
- Alice Eve Returns as Carol Marcus for Star Trek Fleet Command
- Star Trek: Alex Kurtzman Addresses Discovery Spock & Pike Future
- Tarantino Star Trek must be Canon, Regardless of any Ratings
- Star Trek Miniature Phaser At San Diego Comic Con
- Star Trek: Section 31 Spinoff To Film After Discovery Season 3
- Star Trek: The 10 Most Heartbreaking Deaths, Ranked
- A Look Back: The Next Generation
- Star Trek EP Says He's Mapped Out The Franchise's Next 5 To 10 Years
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- "Star Trek: Picard": Jonathan Frakes' Directing Duties Have Wrapped
- Star Trek: Picard EP Teases Series' Ensemble Cast
- Several Animated Star Trek Projects Will Be Aimed at Kids
- Kurtzman On The Future Of Star Trek
- Is Star Trek about to have its very own Last Jedi moment?
- Kurtzman Talks Busy "Star Trek" TV Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Showrunner Thinking About the Enterprise's Return
- Hallmark announces 2019 convention exclusive Star Trek ornament