Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Cursing About Robots Makes Us Want Him as a Supervillain
It’s been a banner year for videoes of Jonathan Frakes going viral, and there’s a new one that has our attention. The clip comes from the German television series How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast), which came to Netflix in May, and it has Frakes in a familiar setting behaving in an unfamiliar way.
Frakes plays himself in the show’s second episode, titled “Life’s Not Fair, Get Used to It.” In the episode, he's hosting a show about the Darknet that is a clear pastiche of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction, known as X-Factor: The Unfathomable in Germany. The show questioned unbelievable tales in search of the truth. A typical episode saw Frakes recounting a tale and then revealing if it was truth or made up.
The version of the show he’s hosting in How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) is a bit more R-rated. In the clip, Frakes drops an F-bomb as he curses about the autonomous robotic vacuum cleaners known as Roombas. He even calls out the manufacturer, iRobot, for taking its name from the Will Smith movie about killer robots (which takes its title from Isaac Asimov's fix-up novel of robotics-themed stories). The whole thing gives us serious supervillain vibes and someone in Hollywood needs to get on that casting now.
As mentioned, Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction has been in the internet's collective consciousness lately. There have been viral supercut videos of Frakes telling you that you're wrong or right and asking some very odd questions of the audience.
Frakes doesn't do as much in front of the camera work these days, but he's an accomplished director. He started directing while working on Star Trek: The Next Generation. This year, he reunited with his The Next Generation co-star Patrick Stewart to direct two episodes of the upcoming CBS All Access series Star Trek: Picard. Frakes has said he’s happy to be back in Star Trek’s orbit again.
"Eighteen years later. I think the fans are going to be thrilled and excited and surprised,” Frakes said. “I have had the privilege of reading the first couple of episodes and I have spent some time with Patrick who is so engaged [laughs] Sorry. It’s wonderful. It’s smart. I’m excited about it. He is obviously more excited. His announcing of it at Las Vegas — which I believe was his idea —was very smart. You know he is 78, and he is going to be carrying the show on his shoulders, his considerable shoulders.0comments
“I’m excited for him and personally, I feel so blessed to back,” he continued. “It’s so ironic that I spent so many years trying to expand where I was working and I was lucky enough to get onto other types of shows. The directing has been a mitzvah for me—to learn another craft. And now I am deeply ensconced in the world I was in 31 years ago—and I’ve got to say—incredibly grateful for it, between The Orville, and Discovery and Picard. And hopefully the Empress Georgiou show.”
Do you think of this video of Jonathan Frakes? Let us know how you feel about it in the comments section!
Have you subscribed to ComicBook Nation, the official Podcast of ComicBook.com yet? Check it out by clicking here or listen below.
In this latest episode we go all-in on Spider-Man: Far From Home spoilers! We go through the post-credit scenes, what they mean and all the easter eggs we could find. Make sure to subscribe now to never miss an episode!
PLUS! Check out our SPOILER FILLED chat with Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige and Sony Pictures' Amy Pascal about the movie! Brandon Davis covers it all, including those Spider-Man: Far From Home post-credit scenes! Listen below or click here!
More on this: 812 stories
- New Creepshow Trailer Previews The Twelve Tales of Terror
- "Creepshow" Offers Look at Things "That Will Drive You Insane" [Trailer]
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Main Characters of Enterprise
- Academy Adds 7 Members to SciTech Council
- Eaglemoss Hero Collector debuts its first ever Star Trek variant cover for NYCC
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo attending this weekend's convention at Centre 200
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Borg Fan Theories That Were Actually Confirmed
- Star Trek: Year Five #6 Variant Cover At NYCC
- Sirtis: A Fun Reunion With Some Next Generation Actors
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Begin Filming in March
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Could Film In March Of Next Year
- Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "surprised" by series
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard
- Hero Collector Brings U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 to IDW's Star Trek Year Five Variant For NYCC
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets You Never Knew About The Makeup
- Star Trek: Picard Can Unite The Divided Fandom
- Lord of The Rings TV series: What we know so far
- Canadian stars Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Patrick Stewart Says Fans May Be Shocked By Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Actor Anthony Rapp Talks Diversity, Science and New Role in 'Star Trek Online'
- 'SEAL Team' Showrunner Steps Down After CBS Investigation (Exclusive)
- Star Trek is aiming for a younger and more relevant revamp
- Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless Coming in December
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Questions About Data, Answered