There's a Star Trek: The Next Generation Easter Egg on Picard's New Dog
CBS All Access today revealed the official key art poster for Star Trek: Picard. The poster shows Jean-Luc Picard, played by the returning Patrick Stewart, standing next to a dog. The dog’s collar hides a special Star Trek: The Next Generation Easter egg that fans may have missed.
The dog's collar has a tag in the shape of a Starfleet insignia, calling back to Picard’s former career as a Starfleet officer. Zooming in on the tag reveals “No. 1” inscribed into it. This is a reference to Picard’s nickname for his first officers, most notably Cmdr. Will Riker from their time services about the Enterprise. It seems the pup is Picard’s new second-in-command.
But what about Picard’s old Number One? Jonathan Frakes, who played Riker, will be back, but this time he’s behind the camera directing two episodes of the new CBS All Access series.
"Eighteen years later. I think the fans are going to be thrilled and excited and surprised,” Frakes said when he revealed his involvement with the new series. “I have had the privilege of reading the first couple of episodes and I have spent some time with Patrick who is so engaged [laughs] Sorry. It’s wonderful. It’s smart. I’m excited about it. He is obviously more excited. His announcing of it at Las Vegas — which I believe was his idea —was very smart. You know he is 78, and he is going to be carrying the show on his shoulders, his considerable shoulders.
“I’m excited for him and personally, I feel so blessed to back,” he continued. “It’s so ironic that I spent so many years trying to expand where I was working and I was lucky enough to get onto other types of shows. The directing has been a mitzvah for me—to learn another craft. And now I am deeply ensconced in the world I was in 31 years ago—and I’ve got to say—incredibly grateful for it, between The Orville, and Discovery and Picard. And hopefully the Empress Georgiou show.”
Frakes has directed three episodes of Star Trek: Discovery so far -- one in the first season and two in the second season -- and is expected to return in the show's third season.0comments
Are you excited about Star Trek: Picard? Let us know in the comments. Star Trek: Picard is expected to debut on CBS All Access in late 2019.
Have you subscribed to ComicBook Nation, the official Podcast of ComicBook.com yet? Check it out by clicking here or listen below.
In this latest episode we go all-in on the new Disney movie trailers including Mulan and Malefecent! We also tackle the Halle Bailey casting in The Little Mermaid, this week's comics and a Stranger Things Season 4 recap. Make sure to subscribe now to never miss an episode!
PLUS! Check out our SPOILER FILLED chat with Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige and Sony Pictures' Amy Pascal about the movie! Brandon Davis covers it all, including those Spider-Man: Far From Home post-credit scenes! Listen below or click here!
More on this: 812 stories
- New Creepshow Trailer Previews The Twelve Tales of Terror
- "Creepshow" Offers Look at Things "That Will Drive You Insane" [Trailer]
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Main Characters of Enterprise
- Academy Adds 7 Members to SciTech Council
- Eaglemoss Hero Collector debuts its first ever Star Trek variant cover for NYCC
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo attending this weekend's convention at Centre 200
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Borg Fan Theories That Were Actually Confirmed
- Star Trek: Year Five #6 Variant Cover At NYCC
- Sirtis: A Fun Reunion With Some Next Generation Actors
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Begin Filming in March
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Could Film In March Of Next Year
- Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "surprised" by series
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard
- Hero Collector Brings U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 to IDW's Star Trek Year Five Variant For NYCC
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets You Never Knew About The Makeup
- Star Trek: Picard Can Unite The Divided Fandom
- Lord of The Rings TV series: What we know so far
- Canadian stars Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Patrick Stewart Says Fans May Be Shocked By Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Actor Anthony Rapp Talks Diversity, Science and New Role in 'Star Trek Online'
- 'SEAL Team' Showrunner Steps Down After CBS Investigation (Exclusive)
- Star Trek is aiming for a younger and more relevant revamp
- Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless Coming in December
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Questions About Data, Answered