Stewart: How “Logan” & Brexit Influenced “Picard”
Ahead of the show’s premiere later this month, Variety has done a feature piece on the upcoming “Star Trek: Picard” and its star Patrick Stewart.
Stewart’s profile was raised by his role over thirty years ago as Captain Jean-Luc Picard on “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” leading to more work such as on the “X-Men” franchise and other films like “Green Room”.
The feature is partly a retrospective on how ‘Next Generation’ helped usher in the age of premium television, and Stewart remains very proud of the series even as he’s less proud of the film that ended it all – especially compared to his final outing as Professor Charles Xavier:
It was because of that film he realised a return to Picard could be desirable and could give the character a proper outing. Nevertheless he still wasn’t interested until producer Alex Kurtzman and writers Michael Chabon and Akiva Goldsman got in touch with him in 2017:
He told them no, but quickly changed his mind and asked Kurtzman to put his ideas in writing. 48 hours later, Kurtzman sent over a thirty-page packet outlining a possible series.
The series begins with Picard living in near-isolation in his family’s French vineyard – retired and estranged from Starfleet and haunted by both the death of his android colleague Lt. Cmdr. Data (as seen in “Star Trek: Nemesis”) and the refugee crisis spawned by the destruction of the planet Romulus (as seen in 2009’s J.J. Abrams-directed “Star Trek”).
Those two separate things soon crossover and Picard returns to action without Starfleet’s help. In fact one of the new show’s most interesting elements will be its portrayal of the interstellar naval service Picard spent much of his life in service of. It seems the Federation has taken an isolationist turn:
The ten episode first season kicks off January 23rd on CBS All Access in the United States and a day later on Amazon Prime Video around much of the rest of the world.
More on this: 723 stories
- Star Trek: Picard star Isa Briones was kept in the dark about episode 1's major plot twist
- Explaining Star Trek: Picard episode one
- Star Trek: IMDb Spoiled Picard's Big Twist
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Trek: Picard: Isa Briones wasn't told Dahj twist till last minute
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3: 5 Things On Our Wish List (& 5 That Aren't)
- Star Trek: Picard Debunks B-4 Theory (But Could Data Return?)
- Hollywood Flashback: Patrick Stewart First Came to L.A.
- Every Star Trek Easter Egg In Picard's Vault
- Star Trek: Picard Trailer Teases What's Still to Come in Season 1
- Star Wars Star Mark Hamill Has the Best I Got Kicked Out of Space Force Response Ever
- Two Next Generation Characters Are Being Left Out Of Star Trek: Picard Season 1
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Patrick Stewart invites Whoopi Goldberg to reprise her TNG Guinan role on season 2 of 'Star Trek: Picard'!
- Who Is Bruce Maddox? Star Trek: Picard's Surprise TNG Returning Character
- "Star Trek: Picard": How Mars Attack Connects to 2009 Film [VIDEO]
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- Star Trek: Why Picard Quit Starfleet Explained
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Trump Unveils Logo For New United States Space Force
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?