Star Trek 4 Director Drops Another Hint That The Movie’s A Reboot
There’s been so much behind-the-scenes upheaval on Star Trek 4 over the last twelve months that at this point it wouldn’t be surprising if Quentin Tarantino’s long-rumored involvement in the franchise came to fruition before the latest installment in the Kelvin timeline, despite the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood filmmaker recently admitting that he might simply walk away from a project that he’s been consistently linked with for years.
Following the conclusion of Justin Lin’s Star Trek Beyond, the crew of the Enterprise have seemingly been placed in development stasis. Shortly after the third movie’s release, Chris Hemsworth was announced to be reprising his role as George Kirk in the fourth entry, before he dropped out over a pay dispute, and has shown no signs of changing his stance. For a while, it even seemed as though Star Trek had lost its leading man, before Chris Pine eventually renegotiated his contract and agreed to return for more deep space adventures.
Original director S.J. Clarkson also abandoned ship, with Fargo and Legion showrunner Noah Hawley ultimately signing on to write and direct. However, the filmmaker has been very evasive when asked if his movie will be the canonical Star Trek 4, so much so that Simon Pegg doesn’t even know if he and the rest of the ensemble cast will be returning to the franchise, which seems strange when you consider that Pegg has been heavily involved on the creative side of things recently as the co-writer of Beyond.
Hawley recently teased that his Star Trek movie might end up being yet another reboot for the series, and in another interview, the 53 year-old continued dropping hints that he’s set to take the decades-old franchise in an entirely new direction.
Not only that, but when asked if the Kelvin crew would be back, Hawley’s response was incredibly evasive, despite the fact that the vast majority of the cast are already contracted to do a fourth movie.
It certainly seems as though Hawley is planning on starting from scratch, making it sound as though the movie he’s working on isn’t Star Trek 4 at all. Blockbuster franchises need to keep reinventing themselves in order to avoid becoming stale, but the Kelvin series didn’t exactly deliver massive box office hits, and rebooting without the familiar faces that modern audiences recognize as the Star Trek crew could turn out to be a risky strategy in the long run.
More on this: 733 stories
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Maps and Legends" Preview: Picard Journey
- Jeri Ryan brings Borg back to 'Star Trek Online' as well as 'Picard'
- Star Trek: Jeri Ryan Talks Voyager Reunion Potential After Picard
- Downton Abbey star wants it to be a "Star Trek franchise"
- Star Trek: Picard's Stewart Explains Why the New Number One Is a Pit Bull
- Star Trek: Picard's Anger At Starfleet Means More Than You Think
- Star Trek: Why Jean-Luc Kept His Picard Day Banner
- 9 Strange Star Trek Crossovers That You Won't Believe Really Happened (& 1 That Almost Did)
- Star Trek: Picard Helps CBS All Access Break Streaming Records
- Star Trek: Picard: Season 1
- Star Trek: Picard's Chateau Has a Tragic History
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Shows TNG's Daystrom Institute
- Star Trek: Picard's Patrick Stewart Reveals Story Behind Jean-Luc's New Number One
- Star Trek: Picard Introduces Mystery of Killer Synthetics Gone Rogue
- Star Trek Fans Want Paramount To Sue Space Force Over Similar Logo
- Star Trek: Picard Is Already Breaking Records For CBS All Access
- The Future of 'Star Trek' and Why the 'Doors Are Just Opening' for a Film-TV Crossover
- Star Trek: Picard star Isa Briones was kept in the dark about episode 1's major plot twist
- Star Trek: Picard Properly Explains The Kelvin Timeline's Origin
- Star Trek: Picard - Bruce Maddox & the Daystrom Institute, Explained
- 10 Dangling Subplots From Star Trek: TNG That Picard Could Finally Wrap Up
- Explaining Star Trek: Picard episode one
- Star Trek: IMDb Spoiled Picard's Big Twist
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Trek: Picard: Isa Briones wasn't told Dahj twist till last minute