Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Already Confirmed By Patrick Stewart Himself
Despite the fact that Star Trek: Picard season one has yet to premiere, star Patrick Stewart has revealed the series has already been renewed for a second season. Patrick Stewart first commanded the role of Captain Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, and has since gone on to represent the character in games and film. However, it's no doubt that the upcoming Star Trek: Picard is going to be Stewart's most substantial reprisal of the role in years.
It's not too often that a show is renewed for a second season before its first airs, although it's happened more than once in recent years. Netflix's recently released fantasy series The Witcher was renewed before season one aired, as was the company's 2017 serial drama Mindhunter. It's much more common for a show to premiere dead on arrival than it is for it to be instantly renewed, evident by network TV's high cancellation rate. If a show is to be renewed before its premiere, it usually indicates that the studio has exceedingly high expectations of its chances for success. For example, Netflix seems to have made a good call renewing The Witcher, and although the show received mixed reviews from critics, it quickly became one of the most in-demand shows on television.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
The news that Star: Trek Picard is coming back for a second season comes by way of Jean-Luc Picard actor Patrick Stewart himself. via his official Twitter page. Stewart acknowledges that the premiere of season one is still ten days away, but says he's "excited to get back to work and for you [the audience] to see what our amazing team has created for season one."
Fans have largely interpreted Stewart's post as a positive indication of what's to come for Star Trek: Picard. Although some critics were hesitant about bringing back the oft-revered starship captain, optimism has mostly drowned those comments out in recent months. Writer and executive producer Akiva Goldsmith gained a strong contingency of support after promising that Star Trek: Picard is not going to just be a sequel to The Next Generation.
It was reported in December that Star Trek: Picard was probably going to be renewed for season two, but now it's been confirmed by Patrick Stewart himself. Picard still has a lot to live up to if it's going to win the favor of ardent TNG fans, but it seems the yet-to-release show has already won the support of ViacomCBS. Viewers won't have to wait long to have their own opinion on Star: Trek Picard though, as it launches very soon on January 23, 2020.
More on this: 723 stories
- Star Trek: Picard star Isa Briones was kept in the dark about episode 1's major plot twist
- Explaining Star Trek: Picard episode one
- Star Trek: IMDb Spoiled Picard's Big Twist
- Donald Trump's US Space Force logo is spookily similar to Starfleet Command's
- Star Trek: Picard: Isa Briones wasn't told Dahj twist till last minute
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3: 5 Things On Our Wish List (& 5 That Aren't)
- Star Trek: Picard Debunks B-4 Theory (But Could Data Return?)
- Hollywood Flashback: Patrick Stewart First Came to L.A.
- Every Star Trek Easter Egg In Picard's Vault
- Star Trek: Picard Trailer Teases What's Still to Come in Season 1
- Star Wars Star Mark Hamill Has the Best I Got Kicked Out of Space Force Response Ever
- Two Next Generation Characters Are Being Left Out Of Star Trek: Picard Season 1
- Trump unveils new Space Force logo (yes, it looks like something from 'Star Trek')
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 1
- Trump's Space Force Logo Looks a Lot Like the Star Trek Insignia
- Patrick Stewart invites Whoopi Goldberg to reprise her TNG Guinan role on season 2 of 'Star Trek: Picard'!
- Who Is Bruce Maddox? Star Trek: Picard's Surprise TNG Returning Character
- "Star Trek: Picard": How Mars Attack Connects to 2009 Film [VIDEO]
- Star Trek fans mock Donald Trump after he unveils new Space Force logo
- Trump presents new Star Trek-style logo for Space Force
- Star Trek: Why Picard Quit Starfleet Explained
- The logo for Donald Trump's US Space Force looks like the Star Trek badge
- Trump Unveils Logo For New United States Space Force
- Star Trek: Trump unveils new Space Force logo nearly identical to Starfleet Command
- Donald Trump's Space Force Logo a Star Trek Knockoff?