Michelle Yeoh Reportedly In Talks For Marvel’s Shang-Chi Movie
New reports suggest Michelle Yeoh is in talks for Marvel's upcoming Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. The first MCU release of 2021, Shang-Chi will star Simu Liu as the titular Master of Kung-Fu. The film has the distinction of being the first Asian-led Marvel film, with Awkwafina and Tony Chiu-Wai Leung filling out the cast. Awkwafina's role has yet to be disclosed, but Leung will be portraying The Mandarin, a villain from the comics who was referenced in Iron Man 3when Ben Kingsley played an actor pretending to be The Mandarin.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
According to ComicBook.com, there are reports saying Michelle Yeoh is in talks to join the film. It is unclear what her role would be, but it would be different than her character in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. In that film, Yeoh made a cameo as Aleta Ogord, one of the members of Yondu's (Michael Rooker) original team. Yeoh would not be the first person to appear in multiple Marvel properties as different characters, as Alfre Woodard had a small role in Captain America: Civil Warand then appeared in Luke Cage. Most recently, Gemma Chan was cast as Sersi in Eternals after having a supporting role in Captain Marvel.
Casting Yeoh would reunite her with her Crazy Rich Asiansco-star Awkwafina. In the future, Yeoh is expected to star in Star Trek: Section 31, a spin-off of the CBS All Access series Star Trek: Discovery, where she played Philippa Georgiou for two seasons. Yeoh is also signed on for the long-delayed Avatar sequels, the first of which is expected in December 2021.
With two films scheduled for release before Shang-Chi (as well as some Disney+ shows), it'll likely be a while before more concrete details surrounding the film are confirmed. So far, however, the cast sounds promising, and director Destin Daniel Cretton seems passionate about the project, which is a very good sign. Adding Yeoh would be another plus for the film, especially since her part in Guardians was so small. With production hopefully kicking off later this year, expect more news about Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings to slowly emerge over the coming months.
Key Release Dates
More on this: 827 stories
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn
- May 2020 IDW Publishing Star Trek Comics
- 'Picard' Explained: Grief Continues to Spread Throughout 'Stardust City Rag'
- "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 3: Federation as "La Résistance"? [Key Art]
- Star Trek: Picard References TOS' Retconned First Federation
- Star Trek: 10 Best Mirror Universe Characters
- Star Trek: Picard - Icheb and the Fenris Rangers, Explained
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Key Art for Season 3
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms That A Fan Favorite Character's LGBTQ