Kirk Douglas Remembered as Hollywood Mourns the Death an Acting Icon
Iconic actor and philanthropist Kirk Douglas has passed away. He was 103-years old. Michael Douglas and the rest of the family released a heartfelt statement this afternoon to pay tribute to Douglas. He had over 92 acting credits, which included at least 75 movies, and was a legitimate superstar well before anyone ever used that term in Hollywood. His contributions to the world of cinema and philanthropy cannot be understated. You can read a portion of the Douglas family statement from Michael below.
Michael Douglas went on to say, "Kirk's life was well lived, and he leaves a legacy in film that will endure for generations to come, and a history as a renowned philanthropist who worked to aid the public and bring peace to the planet." Director/writer Rob Reiner responded to the news of Kirk Douglas' passing on social media by saying, "Kirk Douglas will always be an icon in the pantheon of Hollywood. He put himself on the line to break the blacklist. My love goes out to my friend Michael and the whole family." Douglas spent his later years trying to reshape the entertainment industry and the world.
Ed Asner says, "I will always be in awe. May your memory forever be a blessing." Kirk Douglas starred in Champion, The Bad and the Beautiful, Lust for Life, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Spartacus, and many more. Douglas' many honors include an honorary Academy Award in 1996 and the Presidential Medal of Freedom, to name a few. Douglas' For Love or Money co-star Mitzi Gaynor had this to say.
One of Kirk Douglas' lesser-known roles was of Chester J. Lampwick on The Simpsons in 1996. Fans still love and quote the character to this day. Star Trek star George Takei says, "Douglas was a champion for many just causes and lived a long and storied life. He was adored and beloved, and he shall be missed." RIP. There was a lot about Kirk Douglas that many don't know about, but reading some tributes below should help out. People was the first to reveal Michael Douglas' statement on his father.
More on this: 840 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Reveals the New Captain of the Enterprise
- Star Trek: Picard Originally Didn't Include Jonathan Frakes' Riker
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Reveals The Enterprise's New Captain
- Jonathan Frakes on Borg Bond, Roddenberry Legacy
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 5
- Star Trek 4 Could Reportedly Lose Its Director Again
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Toy Fair 2020: New Look at Star Trek Cats from Chronicle Collectibles
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?