Rumor: Seth MacFarlane and NBC trying to buy Star Trek from CBS
A rumor that reads like a wish-fulfillment has been popping up for days about the idea of Seth MacFarlane and NBC trying to buy Star Trek.
This is strictly a rumor and this is a fan-site and not a news-site, it stands to reason that rumors will pop up here and be discussed. This isn’t the Washington Post, stop pretending it should be held to the same standards. With that, a rumor popped up while searching for news on the Orville that said that Seth MacFarlane was in talks with CBS to acquire the property. It would air on NBC and it’s new streaming service Peacock, but when the sides sat down to talk, things fell apart.
Apparently MacFarlane and NBC left the meeting early after CBS lobbed a huge price their way. MacFarlane and possibly NBC still made an offer before leaving but right now there’s nothing more to this rumor. It is a rumor that should be taken with a grain of salt but it can’t be entirely dismissed. Not in today’s day and age where things are leaked all the time from all over the place.
Having MacFarlane, a Star Trek alumni, taking the creative reigns is an interesting thought. Maybe it’s nothing more than that but what if it is? To bring back a flagship Star Trek show to the network that not only aired The Next Generation but also the original 1966 Star Trek would be a huge move of fan service. It’s also not far fetched, as MacFarlane and NBC are working together now.
It seems like a pipe dream, as MacFarlane has been making The Orville, which is essentially the Star Trek show many fans were hoping to get, only with a lot more comedy. The Orville is decorated from head to toe with past ‘Trek writers, producers, directors and even actors from past Star Trek series, so why would he switch gears and make “real” Trek when he has his own ‘Trek-like’ universe?
Who’s to say? There’s no real answer here, just speculation. Either this is a real rumor and with time, it will reveal itself to us or this is nothing but fandom gone awry. What do you think, should MacFarlane buy Star Trek, or is this just a dumb rumor?
More on this: 840 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Reveals the New Captain of the Enterprise
- Star Trek: Picard Originally Didn't Include Jonathan Frakes' Riker
- Star Trek: Picard Finally Reveals The Enterprise's New Captain
- Jonathan Frakes on Borg Bond, Roddenberry Legacy
- Star Trek Author Dayton Ward Reveals the Secrets of Kirk Fu
- Star Trek Writer Comments on the Future of the Relaunch Timeline
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Says Picard Scene Would Never Have Happened Under Gene Roddenberry
- Frakes' Favorite Star Trek: Picard Scene
- Picard: Frakes Says Star Trek Creator Would Have Hated His Episode
- Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Wraps Filming
- Star Trek: Picard Gets Star Trek's Economics Wrong
- Star Trek: Picard Episode 5
- Star Trek 4 Could Reportedly Lose Its Director Again
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Toy Fair 2020: New Look at Star Trek Cats from Chronicle Collectibles
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?