CBS Reportedly Planning At Least 5 Seasons Of Star Trek: Discovery
In all the excitement around Star Trek: Picard, the franchise focus has been taken off fellow CBS All Access series Star Trek: Discovery. The show, which is due to return to our screens sometime this year, is already setting up a great third season via a time jump to the far future. CBS All Access have reportedly committed to a fourth season of Discovery as well, but we’ve now learnt from our sources – the same ones that told us National Treasure 3 is in development and Transformers is being rebooted – that the network are planning at least five seasons of the show.
According to our intel, CBS All Access have already signed up for both seasons 4 and 5 of Star Trek: Discovery, such is their confidence in the series. Of course, we already know that the Star Trek franchise producers consider Discovery to be a crucial element in the future of the property, which may in time include a potential crossover with Picard. All of this has been in spite of a vocal contingent of fans not warming to Discovery, which unfortunately overlooks the series’ storytelling ambitions.
From inside the Discovery camp, we’re hearing that the third season is set to be particularly strong, and will explore a future version of the Trek universe in more detail than previously seen in the franchise. In addition, there’ve been rumors of a movie spinning out from the events of Discovery, while it’s looking likely that we’ll be getting more of season 2’s incarnations of Spock and the 23rd century as a whole.
In terms of the latter idea, Star Trek producer Alex Kurtzman has indicated that a new spinoff with Pike, Spock, and Una could happen, something that actress Rebecca Romijn has already been teasing. For now, we have season 3 of Star Trek: Discovery to look forward to, hopefully sooner rather than later, as well as the remaining episodes of Picard to enjoy.
If proven correct though, the latest news from our sources is sure to make fans very happy, especially since it indicates that the show could even go beyond a fifth season.
More on this: 827 stories
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn
- May 2020 IDW Publishing Star Trek Comics
- 'Picard' Explained: Grief Continues to Spread Throughout 'Stardust City Rag'
- "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 3: Federation as "La Résistance"? [Key Art]
- Star Trek: Picard References TOS' Retconned First Federation
- Star Trek: 10 Best Mirror Universe Characters
- Star Trek: Picard - Icheb and the Fenris Rangers, Explained
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Key Art for Season 3
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms That A Fan Favorite Character's LGBTQ