Star Trek: Picard Producers Were Overwhelmed By Fan Reactions
The executive producers of the CBS All Access series Star Trek: Picard mulled over the reaction to the show and why fans are still so invested in Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) as a character.
"To see the joy that it has brought back to people has been very, very satisfying," executive producer Alex Kurtzman explained in a video posted on StarTrek.com.
"I've heard a lot of women say, 'Oh, my God. He's like the sexiest captain,'" executive producer Heather Kadin said. "And then, I think there are people who just love that he had a quiet strength, in a way."Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
For executive producer Akiva Goldsman, Picard spoke to something deep in people's psyches. "We yearn for sage adults, we yearn for people who learned from their experience, who have compassion," he noted. "And who acknowledge their mistakes," fellow executive producer Michael Chabon chimed in.
Kadin remarked that she thought Picard not only brought joy to Trek fans but also to Stewart, Brent Spiner (Data), Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) and Jonathan Frakes (William T. Ryker), who have all reprised their Next Generationroles. In addition, Frakes has been tapped as a director for two episodes so far.
Stewart himself been immune to all the excitement, either. Kadin also added, "And I don't think you've ever seen Patrick as giddy to come to work and to joke around."
Star Trek: Picard stars Patrick Stewart, Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera, and Harry Treadaway. New episodes of the series premiere every Thursday on CBS All Access.
More on this: 827 stories
- Star Trek: Yesterday's Enterprise Almost Had a Much Darker Ending
- Star Trek: Picard Almost Didn't Bring Back Jonathan Frakes as Will Riker
- Star Trek: Picard's Riker Appearance Breaks a Star Trek Actor Record
- Star Trek: Picard's New Doctor Is Already More Important Than You Think
- Star Trek 4 Director Reportedly Doesn't Want Original Cast To Return
- Star Trek: Seven of Nine's Tragic Picard Story Deserves Its Own Spinoff
- New Star Trek Movie, Two More TV Shows Confirmed In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Subtly Reused Voyager's Theme Tune Perfectly
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms DS9's [SPOILER] Is On Freecloud
- The 'Picard' Scene 'Star Trek' Creator Gene Roddenberry Would Hate
- Soul of Star Trek: Star Trek's End?
- One New Star Trek Movie And Two TV Shows Confirmed To Be In Development
- Star Trek: Picard Kills Off a Pivotal Franchise Character
- Enterprise BARELY edges Voyager as most underappreciated show
- Star Trek Finally Confirms A Major Character's LGBTQ Status
- Star Trek: Picard Gives Raffi A Tragic Backstory
- "Star Trek: Picard" Season 1 "Stardust City Rag" [Review]: Powerful Turn
- May 2020 IDW Publishing Star Trek Comics
- 'Picard' Explained: Grief Continues to Spread Throughout 'Stardust City Rag'
- "Star Trek: Discovery" Season 3: Federation as "La Résistance"? [Key Art]
- Star Trek: Picard References TOS' Retconned First Federation
- Star Trek: 10 Best Mirror Universe Characters
- Star Trek: Picard - Icheb and the Fenris Rangers, Explained
- Star Trek: Discovery Reveals New Key Art for Season 3
- Star Trek: Picard Confirms That A Fan Favorite Character's LGBTQ