Marc Bernardin Working On Star Trek: Picard
Star Trek: PicardSeason Two has enlisted the aid of writer and podcaster Marc Bernardin. Bernardin, who may be best recognized as the co-host of Fatman Beyond with Kevin Smith, has joined the team behind Star Trek: Picard's upcoming second season as a supervising producer. Bernardin previously wrote for Syfy's Alphas and currently writes for Hulu's Castle Rock, USA Network's Treadstone, and Amazon Prime's Carnival Row. Early in his career, Bernardin worked as an intern on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. That origin story in the nameplate on his Star Trek: Picard office door, which has a photo of Avery Brooks as DS9's Captain Benjamin Sisko. "The nameplate makes it real," Bernardin shared on Instagram. He went into more depth about the new job with a separate post on Instagram:
"When I was in my junior year of college, a film professor pointed me to a screenwriting contest for undergrads and suggested that I enter. The lone requirement was, you had to write a spec episode of a currently airing TV show. At the time, I didn’t watch a ton of TV — I was a nerd and, back in the early 90s, there weren’t a lot of options. But there was one show I loved, and knew inside and out, so I wrote an episode of that one.
"It was Star Trek: The Next Generation. And it was the very first time I wrote words that were coming out of existing characters’ mouths. The first thing that looked anything like a screenplay.
"Because I loved that show, even its daffier episodes. And it had some daffy AF episodes. But I loved the Enterprise, I loved the aliens, I loved the characters, and I loved Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
"It’s a particular fantasy — one I would later revisit with Ben Sisko and William Adama — to want to be led by a competent person. (Also, a particularly relevant fantasy.) By someone who would endeavor to do the right thing. Who has flaws, but because of them can bring the best version of him or herself to bear. Who will go down with the ship — but not before fighting for it to the last.
"So I wrote a TNG episode and won the contest. (That’s a whole different story.) It took a long time for me to fulfill the promise of that very early career victory, but here we are.
"Today was my first day as a supervising producer on Star Trek: Picard. All good things come to those who wait."
New episodes of Star Trek: Picard become available to stream Thursdays on CBS All Access.
Photo by Sylvain Gaboury/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images
Did you know ComicBook.com has a podcast? That's right folks, ComicBook Nation is available every Wednesday and Friday bringing you the best breakdowns of the week's biggest news from Kofi Outlaw, Matt Aguilar, Janell Wheeler & the rest of the staff at the site. Catch the newest episode right here or subscribe on iTunes today!
Disclosure: ComicBook is owned by CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS.
More on this: 877 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?
- Don Cheadle will play "the bad guy" in Space Jam 2 according to Paul Scheer