Star Trek: Picard EP Explains Why The Show Avoids Log Entries
Star Trek: Picardhas gone boldly where no other Trek shows have gone before over its first season so far, delivering a sequel series to The Next Generation that has a very different tone and sensibility to its forebear. Many of the traditional tenets of the franchise have been cast aside to ensure Picard feels fresh and contemporary, and one of those is the use of log entries.
As fans will know, log entries – as read by an officer, typically the captain – have been a staple of Star Trek since the beginning, often being employed to open an episode or even to recap events after a time-jump or commercial break. After so many decades, they’re obviously something fans have come to expect from Trek. So, why isn’t Picard using them?
That’s what one fan asked showrunner Michael Chabon on his Instagram and the EP made it clear why. It turns out it comes down to Chabon’s personal distaste for the narrative device, believing that the voiceover doesn’t do much to move the drama and the story forward.
It’s no surprise Chabon feels this way, following his previous response to a fan’s enquiry as to why Stardates aren’t employed on Picard. On that occasion, the writer blasted the franchise fixture as “uninformative information”, explaining his view that “a Stardate tells you precisely nothing.”
As you probably know, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author has been readily available on social media while Picard‘s been airing to answer fans’ questions honestly and comprehensively. He’s also defended the show’s use of graphic violence and strong language, as well as its tragic twists. And frankly, it’s great to see him interacting with viewers like this.
Star Trek: Picardreaches the first half of its two-part finale this Thursday on CBS All Access.
More on this: 877 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?
- Don Cheadle will play "the bad guy" in Space Jam 2 according to Paul Scheer