Star Trek: Picard Just Retconned A Classic TNG Episode
As we gear up for the first half of Star Trek: Picardseason 1’s two-part finale later this week, let’s look back at the major revelations that came out in last week’s episode, 1×08 “Broken Pieces.” After many weeks of teasing the bigger picture, that chapter saw the whole truth come out about the Romulan/Starfleet conspiracy that has turned the fate of the galaxy around and seen hatred for synthetics surge.
And one of the biggest repercussions of these revelations is that they retcon a classic episode of The Next Generation. Essentially, we and the characters learn that Commodore Oh, the fierce Starfleet Security boss who’s had no time for Picard all season, is really a half-Romulan/Vulcan mole for the Zhat Vash. It’s also established that it was not Bruce Maddox’s creation of Soji and Dahj that started the terrorist cell’s plans. It was the creation of Data at the hands of Noonien Soong, decades prior.
What this means is that Oh was in command way back during the time of TNG season 2’s “Measure of a Man.” This pivotal episode was the first time Maddox encountered Data. To refresh your memory, it saw Maddox attempt to prove that Data was merely the property of Starfleet so that he might take him apart and build a race of Datas. Picard, however, successfully proved his friend’s sentience and autonomy.
We’re now left to wonder if Oh was behind Maddox’s bid, making him an unwitting pawn in the Zhat Vash’s schemes. Obviously, they would have wanted Data dismantled, too, though no doubt Maddox would have been prevented from continuing his work. What actually happened was that the cyberneticist developed a great respect for Data and eventually created Soji and Dahj from his neurons. So the Zhat Vash essentially brought their own worst fears to life.
Don’t miss Star Trek: Picard1×09 “Et in Arcadia Ego, Part 1” this Thursday on CBS All Access.
More on this: 877 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?
- Don Cheadle will play "the bad guy" in Space Jam 2 according to Paul Scheer