CBS Reportedly Planning A Defenders-Style Star Trek Crossover Show
We were starved there for a while, but we’re currently being well-fed when it comes to Star TrekTV series. Discoverykicked off this new era of Trek on television, with Picardrecently joining it. There’s also a Section 31 spinoff for Michelle Yeoh’s Georgiou officially in the works as well, with more being kept under wraps for now. Soon, we could be about to have more Trek shows on at the same time than ever before.
And it sounds like CBS is hoping to capitalize on that. Sources close to We Got This Covered – the same ones who said Discovery had been renewed for a fifth season and a Captain Pike spinoff is in the works, both of which have since been confirmed by The GWW – say that the network wants to do a big crossover series modeled after Marvel and Netflix’s The Defenders. As you’d imagine, it would bring together characters from Discovery, Picard, Section 31 and the aforementioned Pike show.
Obviously, all of these series would be stretched across the Trek timeline, but we’ve heard that time travel will be used to bring everyone together. Exact plot details remain vague at the moment, of course, but apparently they’d all have to work alongside one another to fight some common foe. It’s also unclear which characters would be involved, but we presume the main players from each of the aforementioned shows would feature.
It’s still early days yet for this proposed spinoff series, but what we’re hearing certainly adds up with what ViacomCBS has previously revealed they’ve got planned for the franchise, following their merger. Company chief Bob Bakish noted back in September that they were looking to Marvel Studios for inspiration on how to expand Star Trek going forward, with a particular emphasis on cross-platform interconnectivity and a skewering towards younger audiences.
Again, this crossover would be a while away, as those two other series need to get going first, but we can apparently expect a Star Trekversion of the Defenders on our screens in a few years’ time.
More on this: 877 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?
- Don Cheadle will play "the bad guy" in Space Jam 2 according to Paul Scheer