Fans wanted the ‘D’, the Enterprise-D that is in this week’s fan poll
It was a battle of the classic Star Trek ships in this week’s Friday Night Fights but it was the Enterprise D that took the win.
Last Friday, fans were tasked with having to choose between the NCC -1701 or the NCC-1701-D in this week’s Friday Night Fights. Both ships are integral to the history of the show and both ships have established fanbases that embrace their respective ships all these years later.
The NCC-1701 is from the original series and set the foundation for what all shows and movies would embrace moving forward. The staple of each property needing a ship started with the original Star Trek.
The NCC-1701-D picked it up a notch and started to really engage fan’s expectations for what the future and franchise could hold. The NCC-1701-D came from the Next Generation series and embraced the idea of the ship as being more than just a vessel but also a community.
When forced to pick, fans went with the larger, more modern ship in the NCC-1701-D. Not too surprising, the second ship to bear the ‘Enterprise’ moniker not only introduced a larger number of fans to the franchise but is widely considered to be the more popular of the two series.
Star Trek: Next Generation launched alongside the success of the original series theatrical run, coming in right after the fifth entry. Yet, it was the Next-Generation spin-off franchises that really cemented the sequel series legacy.
Both ships would eventually be replaced by more modernized versions, but neither ship’s replacement could ever hold a candle to the significance of these original two ships.
It’s hard to pick a ship. Both are classics. Both are iconic. Both are beautiful.
For me though, I’ll take the Eagle 5 any day.
That or Voyager.
Yeah, I said it.
More on this: 877 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?
- Don Cheadle will play "the bad guy" in Space Jam 2 according to Paul Scheer