Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Might Be Delayed Due To Coronavirus
It’s been a while since we’ve had new episodes of Star Trek: Discovery and we were expecting the CBS All Access series to resume this year. The premiere of the new season could be delayed, though, as part of the rapidly increasing number of productions hit by the coronavirus. While shooting has wrapped on the next batch of episodes, post-production is slowing down as a result of crew members working from home, meaning that we’ll still get more Star Trek: Discovery, just possibly a bit later than we originally hoped.
The news came as part of a live chat with Discovery actor Wilson Cruz last week, with castmate Anthony Rapp commenting during the chat that editing and visual effects for the series are being affected by the COVID-19 lockdown. Cruz later responded to Rapp’s feedback on Twitter, remarking as follows:
At any rate, it appears that ViacomCBS have big plans for Star Trek: Discovery, with multiple new seasons reportedly in the works. Indeed, we recently heard that a fifth season is pretty much confirmed, with the fourth year of the show planned to begin production this summer. However, this schedule may also be delayed by the lockdown, so we’ll have to wait and see whether filming will begin later than expected.
From what we know so far about the pending third season of Discovery, it will focus on how the crew adapts to being flung into the far future of the universe, specifically the 32nd century. In addition, we’re getting rumors that a Discovery movie could be in the works, which would see its crew cross over into the Kelvin timeline of the Star Trek series, part of what is apparently a new push for franchise crossovers. We may also get a crossover between Discovery and Star Trek: Picard, with the latter show already confirmed for a second season.
As with practically everything else in the entertainment world right now (or indeed the world in general), it’s hard to give a clear answer on when release dates will happen, but we’ll be sure to let you know once we hear of when Star Trek: Discovery will reach audiences.
More on this: 877 stories
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Reveals What Happened to the Ex-Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains Why Riker Wasn't on the Titan in the Finale
- Showrunner Answers Big Questions About Star Trek: Picard Season 2
- 10 Things We're Looking Forward To In Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard: 5 Fan Theories That Came True In Season 1 (& 5 That Still Could)
- Star Trek: The Next Generation Cast Reunite For Quarantine Birthday Party
- O Captain! My Captain! Anson Mount of 'Star Trek: Discovery' dishes on possible return of Capt. Pike
- 'Star Trek' Cast Group Chats to Celebrate Marina Sirtis' Birthday
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains How and Why the Show Changes The Borg
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Explains The Show's Approach to Sexuality
- Star Trek: Brent Spiner Shares High Praise for Picard's Finale
- Star Trek TOS: 10 Real-Life Historic References In The Show
- Star Trek: Picard Showrunner Hints at Series Going in New Directions in Season 2
- Star Trek: Picard's Synthetic Villains Were Disappointing
- Picard: The Show's LGBT Romance Brings Star Trek Into the 21st Century
- Star Trek Discovery Season 3 Teaser Trailer Shows Burnham In The Future
- Stay At Home Edition: Bits & Pieces
- 'Battlestar Galactica' is a Bingeable Feast Eager to Bust Your Gut
- The Challenge for 'Star Trek: Picard' Season 2
- Star Trek: Enterprise's Jonathan Archer reminds us that mistakes happen
- Star Trek: Picard's Finale Finally Brought [SPOILERS] Back To Starfleet
- Star Trek: Picard EP Says Season 2 Will Go In A Different Direction
- Star Trek: 10 Historic Moments In Star Trek That We've Already Lived Through
- Star Trek Picard: What is Will Riker's New Ship?
- Don Cheadle will play "the bad guy" in Space Jam 2 according to Paul Scheer