Celebrate Star Trek Day With the Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Trailer
**SPOILER ALERT: This post discusses the finale of Star Trek: Discovery season 2.**
Happy Star Trek Day, Mary Suevians! Today is the 54th anniversary of the debut of the original Star Trek series, and CBS All Access is streaming a marathon day of Trek-friendly programming. There are panels with the cast and creators of Star Trek: Discovery, a first look at the Captain Pike spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, a Picard/Next Generation panel, and new animated comedy Star Trek: Lower Decks.
Star Trek Day will also stream the 25th anniversary reunion panel for Voyager and will host reunions for other beloved Star Trek series, but we are especially excited to see the trailer for season 3 of Discovery, which picks up after the explosive finale of season 2.
Season 3 picks up immediately after the crew of the U.S.S. Discovery has jumped 930 years into the future to the year 3188, in order to stop the destruction of the Federation. They land on a scarred world where the Federation is in tatters, and Commander Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) meets a mysterious man called Cleveland “Book” Booker (Supergirl‘s David Ajala). We also learn that some disastrous event called “The Burn” changed the course of the Federation.
In addition to panels and an episode marathon, Star Trek is running a charity fundraiser, where they are donating $1 for every person who tweets #StarTrekUnitedGives. The funds will go to “organizations who champion equality, justice, & the pursuit of scientific advancements.” Donations will go to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund (NAACP LDF), National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering (NACME), and the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI).
There’s also plenty to explore on the Star Trek Day site, like exclusive merch, a downloadable Lower Decks coloring book, playlists, and more. Oh, and you won’t want to miss this thread of Beyoncé as Star Trek characters.
There is something deeply comforting about the return of Star Trek and the hopefulness the franchise excels at. As Rebecca Romijn said in the Strange New Worlds panel, “It’s never felt like a more important time to be telling stories based on these themes of optimism and a bright future … and I can’t wait to start telling those stories.”
Star Trek Discovery returns to CBS All Access on October 15.
Also LOOK AT THIS SPACE CAT:
(image: CBS All Access)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org
More on this: 571 stories
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew
- Hawley's Standalone "Star Trek" Was To Link Back
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie Avoids Kirk & Picard, Has New Characters
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek Movie to Introduce an Entirely New Crew
- Wil Wheaton Wants To Reunite With Patrick Stewart On Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: The Original Series receives TCA Heritage Award for
- Star Trek: Lower Decks References the Original Series AND the Animated Series
- Star Trek 6: Why Kirstie Alley's Saavik Didn't Return For Undiscovered Country
- Wil Wheaton Wants to Return as Wesley Crusher for Star Trek: Lower Decks