Star Trek: Discovery: News And A Trailer And A Cat
Plenty of news broke while your reporter was away on vacation, and in this article, it’s time to catch up on Star Trek: Discovery.
From TrekCore, we get word of a new trailer for Season Three of Star Trek: Discovery, as seen below. Pay special attention to new Trill character Gray (Ian Alexander), and Saru’s uniform.
There is also a new poster and a new logo. Click on the thumbnail below to see the poster. The logo will be in the main picture that accompanies this article.
From TrekMovie comes news from the panel which featured Sonequa Martin-Green, Alex Kurtzman, Michelle Paradise, and David Ajala. Here is what fans can expect:
Kurtzman: “Obviously, the Federation is not where it was, and yet our characters enter into this timeline and our whole season is about trying to bring it back. So you are into a world where it is very reflective of the world we live in now. And I believe very reflective or [Gene] Roddenberry‘s essential vision of optimism. In the darkest times we have to hold that beacon of light up to guide us back.
“What happened to the Federation didn’t happen because of the Federation collapsed in on itself because of disagreement or strife. That’s not what happened. The Federation was as strong as ever. Obviously, something cataclysmic went down that changed everything.”
Paradise: “At the top of the season part of it is a mystery that Burnham needs to figure out. Where is the Federation? What kind of state is it in? And that’s something that she and then our heroes on Discovery also need to figure out. And when we find it, we’ll find that it’s still in existence. It’s just much diminished from what it was. They’re very much kind of in survival mode.”
Ajala:“I think the main thing about this character [Cleveland ‘Book” Booker] that was special was his sense of purpose. And to find a sense of purpose that was bigger than himself allowed him to continue living life was a backstory that I discussed with Michelle and Alex. He is going to bring out something in Michael Burnham. And Michael Burnham will do exactly the same thing for him.”
Paradise: Book is “someone who was born into this new world that we come into. So while our heroes have the perspective of nine hundred-and-thirty years ago when the Federation what was strong and everyone knew what it was, he comes from this time that’s very, very different. And so actually Book becomes a window into this new world for us. He becomes kind of the eyes through which we see the everyday present for those who were born into this new future. And our heroes coming in with a completely different perspective, it’s a really helpful way to make that jump to the future is to have that anchor for us in what David does with that character.”
Fans will also learn more about the Trill, in the person of Gray (Alexander).
Finally, not all is doom and gloom. Star Trek: Discovery has a new addition to the show, Grudge, played by Leeu, who is Cleveland “Book” Booker’s pet. Grudge is “feisty,” said Ajala. “She is cynical, cautious, and wary of people. But when she embraces you and it takes you in, she takes you in. It’s tough love! I’ve had to work my way up the ladder.”
Grudge is a Maine Coon Cat.
Star Trek: Discovery returns on October 15.
What do you think? Chat with other fans in the Star Trek: Discovery forum at The Trek BBS.
More on this: 562 stories
- Star Trek's Original Movie Timeline is Finally About To Make Sense
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Takes a Page from The Thing
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Brings Back THIS TNG-Era Alien
- Join Gowron and Martok to learn more about Klingon culture
- Star Trek's Future Can Perfectly Redeem Wesley Crusher
- IDW Publishing Trek Comics For December
- Everything We Know About The Upcoming Star Trek Movies
- NYCC Adds Star Trek: Discovery, Lower Decks and The Stand to Virtual Panel Lineup
- Amazon to Produce Chris Pine-Thandie Newton Thriller 'All the Old Knives'
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Episode 7 Shows the Freaky Side of Starfleet
- Star Trek Finally Improved TNG's Most Hated Captain
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Recap, Season 1 Episode 7
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton wants to reunite with Sir Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Star Trek At New York Comic-Con
- Star Trek: Picard Wins Emmy Award
- Noah Hawley's new Star Trek would not bring back prior cast
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie doesn't include Kirk or Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Theory Reveals An Unexpected Doctor Who Connection
- Star Trek: Discovery & The Stand Panels Set For NYCC 2020
- Noah Hawley Says His 'Star Trek' Starts "From Scratch" With No Picard Or Kirk
- Noah Hawley Teases His Star Trek Film's Unconventional Twist
- All-New Star Trek Crew Is Being Introduced in Noah Hawley's Movie Reboot
- Star Trek: Wil Wheaton Wants to Reunite With Patrick Stewart in Picard
- Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' Won't Feature Kirk or Picard
- Noah Hawley's Star Trek movie will feature brand new crew