[Star Trek Missions NY] Star Trek Online
This past Labor Day Weekend, ReedPop in conjunction with CBS put on their first ever Star Trek show, Star Trek Missions NY, at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan to celebrate the upcoming 50th anniversary of the original series. Bringing together a wide range of panels, exhibitors, celebrities, and — oh yes — cosplay, the overall stellar show boldly went where no man has gone before.
Star Trek Online, a free-to-play massively multiplayer online game, was there in full force throughout the convention with game demos, game developers to talk to, giveaways, and raffles. Fan interest was high throughout the convention for all booth activities and the booth was busy throughout the weekend.
Players pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation starship, become a Klingon Warrior and champion the Empire through the far reaches of the galaxy, or rebuild the Romulan legacy as the commander of a Romulan Republic Warbird.
Star Trek Online will offer over six years’ worth of content, including over 130 featured episodes that build upon classic Star Trek stories and series as they play alongside a cast of Star Trek actors including Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Michael Dorn (Worf), Tim Russ (Tuvok), Denise Crosby, and more.
In the future Star Trek Online for consoles will bring two expansions and 11 seasons’ worth of updates for players looking to immerse themselves in the world of Star Trek. Each player’s adventure will begin as they choose from classic Star Trek factions including Federation, Klingon and Romulans, as well 32 species to customize their own Captain with millions of customization options available. While playing through content in Star Trek Online, players will be able to visit iconic locations including Vulcan, Deep Space Nine, Earth Space Dock and more. Fly through the galaxy of Star Trek Online, with hundreds of classic Star Trek ships available, and engage in ship-to-ship combat. Players will be able to play through the game’s story content and reach the level 60 cap, all for free.
From my demo, I was able to play one of the on-land missions. I must admit I don’t play as many console or video games, so my controls were a little rusty, however, I was easily able to pick up the game and start playing a mission fairly quickly. Gameplay was fun with lots of details and elaborate gameplay. Graphics were smooth and crisp. And you can’t beat the price, so for a Trekkie, this game is for you!
Below are some screenshots of gameplay, as well as the official developer walkthrough.
There was also a panel with the developers discussing features and game play which I attended.
Bringing the Star Trek Universe to Xbox One and PlayStation®4 – Meet the Team Behind Star Trek Online!
Panelists: Steve Ricossa, Al Rivera, Maria Rosseau, Denise Crosby (Security Chief Tasha Yar as well as Yar’s own daughter, the half-Romulan Commander Sela)
Get an exclusive, behind-the-scenes look at development for Star Trek Online, the only massively multiplayer online role-playing game that allows players to captain their own starship and explore content that expands on the iconic Star Trek universe. Join executive producer Stephen Ricossa, lead game designer Al Rivera and producer Maria Rosseau as they reveal the development process that went into the game.
The creators went into the game, its expansiveness, and other details.
Finally, I, along with my friend, Alyssa Franks at FOCC, had a chance to talk with Denise Crosby on her role within the game.
I look intense when I interview people, but I swear I’m a sweetheart!
Key Features and Product Specifications
THE DEPTH OF STAR TREK
Captains can explore the galaxy, visiting all 4 quadrants, including 100+ iconic Star Trek locations. During these missions, they will interact with original characters from the television show voiced by Trek actors, including Jeri Ryan, Michael Dorn, Tim Russ and more.
YOUR MISSIONS, YOUR WAY
Players can choose from three classic Star Trek factions (Federation, Klingon and Romulan) to create their own Captain and customize their bridge crew and starships for a completely personalized Star Trek experience.
Star Trek Online on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One will launch with over six years of content, including over 130 featured episodes. The game will receive regular updates to include new locations and characters straight from the Star Trek universe.
UPDATED GRAPHICS AND CONTROLS
A brand new UI and control scheme has been added, allowing players to navigate both space and ground combat with ease. Modern lighting technologies have also been added to improve the overall visual quality of the game.
Developer: Cryptic Studios
Publisher: Perfect World Entertainment
Release date: The game is currently available on PC and will launch on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One in fall 2016.
Genre: Fantasy MMORPG
Rating: T for Teen
I even won one of the hard-to-get Online Crew shirts! Weekend made!
Head over to the website to learn more about this game, download it, and play for free. http://startrekonline.com
More on this: 623 stories
- Star Trek Head Alex Kurtzman Explains How Star Wars Influenced His Approach to the Franchise
- Star Trek: Section 31 Plans to Begin Filming Immediately After Discovery Season 3 Wraps
- Star Trek's Alex Kurtzman Has a 5 to 10 Year Plan for the Franchise
- Alex Kurtzman Updates Us on Future of Star Trek Television
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 Mission to Include 2 Animated Episodes
- Alex Kurtzman wants Star Trek to appeal to a younger demographic
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Link Tank: An Anthony Bourdain Food Trail Has Grand Opening
- Alice Eve Returns as Carol Marcus for Star Trek Fleet Command
- Star Trek: Alex Kurtzman Addresses Discovery Spock & Pike Future
- Tarantino Star Trek must be Canon, Regardless of any Ratings
- Star Trek Miniature Phaser At San Diego Comic Con
- Star Trek: Section 31 Spinoff To Film After Discovery Season 3
- Star Trek: The 10 Most Heartbreaking Deaths, Ranked
- A Look Back: The Next Generation
- Star Trek EP Says He's Mapped Out The Franchise's Next 5 To 10 Years
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- "Star Trek: Picard": Jonathan Frakes' Directing Duties Have Wrapped
- Star Trek: Picard EP Teases Series' Ensemble Cast
- Several Animated Star Trek Projects Will Be Aimed at Kids
- Kurtzman On The Future Of Star Trek
- Is Star Trek about to have its very own Last Jedi moment?
- Kurtzman Talks Busy "Star Trek" TV Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Showrunner Thinking About the Enterprise's Return
- Hallmark announces 2019 convention exclusive Star Trek ornament