Star Trek's Picard spin-off with Patrick Stewart will have a "psychological" twist
While the spin-off's plot is currently being kept under wraps, co-creator Kurtzman has explained that the new show will take a very different, more "psychological" approach compared to Discovery.
"It's going to be a very different show from Discovery," he said, while speaking at PaleyFest LA (via Deadline). "The only way that this universe works correctly is if each show is really different and speaks to a different part of Star Trek. This is going to be a very thoughtful, psychological portrait in a lot of ways."
While admitting that it's important to keep the same qualities of the iconic Jean-Luc Picard, Kurtzman explained that the character will need to go through a personal journey to rediscover himself.
"We all know what Picard means to the world and why he – like so many legendary characters on Star Trek – has endured and what he's represented," said Kurtzman.
"He in some ways has to go through a gauntlet in order to find that. Things have changed for him and changed him in some ways, and yet he is so deeply and fundamentally Picard."
Speaking about his excitement for the new show, Kurtzman added: "We're thrilled at what we're going to deliver. I know Patrick is really excited. The cast is coming together beautifully. And I will give you nothing else."
Meanwhile, Sir Patrick Stewart recently predicted that the spin-off could run for multiple seasons, saying he's set up for "possibly three years" in the new show.
More on this: 559 stories
- We Need Tig Notaro's Jett Reno as a Star Trek: Discovery Regular
- Star Trek Producer Comments on Possiblity of a Discovery Movie
- Star Trek: Discovery Producer Addresses The Possibility Of A Movie
- Star Wars and Star Trek: Why are there no seatbelts on spaceships? AMAZING official reason
- 'Star Trek: Short Treks' Review: Did Spock Just Laugh in 'Q&A'?
- Top 10 Vulcans In Star Trek, Ranked
- What Christopher Lloyd Has Done Since Back To The Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Is Bringing Back Deep Space Nine's Alien Races
- Star Trek's Nickelodeon Animated Series Will Tell Serialized Stories
- John Cho Injured on Cowboy Bebop Set, Production Halted
- 10 Worst Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Star Trek: 5 Scientifically Accurate Details (& 5 That Make No Sense)
- 'Jojo Rabbit' Composer Michael Giacchino on Setting the Right Tone
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Collateral Damage Book Review
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Producer Sets Crime Drama at CBS
- Every Arrow Easter egg and callback in the season 8 premiere
- Nasa unveils new spacesuit for next Moon landing
- Galaxy Quest Documentary Headed to Theaters, Trailer Released
- Star Trek: Picard Can Be Nostalgic (Because Of Discovery)
- Star Trek: Discovery coming to E4 in the UK
- 5 Things In Star Trek TNG That Make No Sense (And 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Nasa unveils spacesuits to be worn by first woman on the moon
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Captain Kirk Theories That Have Actually Been Confirmed
- 'Why Women Kill' Renewed for Season 2 at CBS All Access
- NASA: New spacesuits for Artemis moon landing program unveiled today have high-tech features, greater mobility