Sounds Like Jonathan Frakes is Ready to Engage for ‘Star Trek: Picard’!!
While we can’t be sure if Jonathan Frakes‘ recent Twitter post means he’ll be reprising his role of Star Trek: The Next Generation‘s first officer Commander William Riker as well as slipping into the director’s chair for 2 episodes of CBS All Access series Star Trek: Picard, we’re pretty excited by the possibilities.
Frakes has his fair share of Trek episodes (8 of TNG, 3 Deep Space Nine, 3 Voyager, 2 of The Orville, and 4 of Discovery) under his belt, as well as films (Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection), so his engaging the hot seat for Picard makes perfect sense.
According to Frakes’ IMDB listing under his directorial credits (eek, we know, never the most reliable source of information), he’ll be helming two episodes of the upcoming Star Trek: Picard series, which will see the return of Sir Patrick Stewartas the former Enterprise captain Jean-Luc Picard.
Last we heard, Alison Pill (The Newsroom), Harry Treadaway (Penny Dreadful) and Isa Briones are the newest faces to join the show.
Hanelle Culpepper will be directing the first two episodes in a historic move for the Roddenberry franchise, as she will be the first woman to launch a Trek series, as well as showrunning.
We already knew that Santiago Cabrera (Heroes,Che) and Michelle Hurd (Marvel’s Daredevil, Blindspot) were on board for the series. There are of course, no details yet about who Cabrera and Hurd will be playing.
Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Alex Kurtzman, who will be serving as an executive producer on Picard, had this to say about the show; comparing it to DISCO, and how it’ll be totally different:
We will of course let you know what else we hear about the series.
About Mary Anne Butler
Bleeding Cool News Editor Mary Anne Butler (Mab, for short) has been part of the fast-paced world of journalism since she was 15, getting her start in album reviews and live concert coverage for a nationally published (print) music magazine. She eventually transitioned to online media, writing for such sites as UGO/IGN, ComicsOnline, Geek Magazine, Ace of Geeks, Aggressive Comix (where she is still Editor-in-Chief), and most recently Bleeding Cool.
Over the past 10 years, she’s built a presence at conventions across the globe as a cosplayer (occasionally), photographer (constantly), panelist and moderator (mostly), and reporter (always).
Interviews, reviews, observations, breaking news, and objective reporting are the name of the game for the founder of Harkonnen Knife Fight, a Dune-themed band with an international presence.
Though she be but little, she is fierce. #MabTheProfessional
(Last Updated May 22, 2019 2:15 pm )
More on this: 623 stories
- Star Trek Head Alex Kurtzman Explains How Star Wars Influenced His Approach to the Franchise
- Star Trek: Section 31 Plans to Begin Filming Immediately After Discovery Season 3 Wraps
- Star Trek's Alex Kurtzman Has a 5 to 10 Year Plan for the Franchise
- Alex Kurtzman Updates Us on Future of Star Trek Television
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 Mission to Include 2 Animated Episodes
- Alex Kurtzman wants Star Trek to appeal to a younger demographic
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Link Tank: An Anthony Bourdain Food Trail Has Grand Opening
- Alice Eve Returns as Carol Marcus for Star Trek Fleet Command
- Star Trek: Alex Kurtzman Addresses Discovery Spock & Pike Future
- Tarantino Star Trek must be Canon, Regardless of any Ratings
- Star Trek Miniature Phaser At San Diego Comic Con
- Star Trek: Section 31 Spinoff To Film After Discovery Season 3
- Star Trek: The 10 Most Heartbreaking Deaths, Ranked
- A Look Back: The Next Generation
- Star Trek EP Says He's Mapped Out The Franchise's Next 5 To 10 Years
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- "Star Trek: Picard": Jonathan Frakes' Directing Duties Have Wrapped
- Star Trek: Picard EP Teases Series' Ensemble Cast
- Several Animated Star Trek Projects Will Be Aimed at Kids
- Kurtzman On The Future Of Star Trek
- Is Star Trek about to have its very own Last Jedi moment?
- Kurtzman Talks Busy "Star Trek" TV Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Showrunner Thinking About the Enterprise's Return
- Hallmark announces 2019 convention exclusive Star Trek ornament