Star Trek's Williams Shatner "Absolutely" Would Return as Captain Kirk
Star Trek star William Shatner says he’s good to go on another mission as Captain James T. Kirk if the material lives up to the calling. Speaking to KOMO Newsradio, Shatner was asked if he’d be willing to return to his role as the captain of the USS Enterprise. He said, “I certainly would. You know? A well-written thing? I certainly would. Absolutely.”
ComicBook.com spoke to Shatner in February ahead of his performance at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. He said that resurrecting Kirk for a series like Star Trek: Picard, an ongoing show that sees Patrick Stewart return as Jean-Luc Picard, is out of the question.
“That word, ‘resurrect.’ That’s a
Shatner concluded by saying that he’s not interested in doing a series, his more recent comments suggest that a single appearance, or even a miniseries of some sort, may not be entirely out of the question.
In a recent interview, Star Trek: Voyager star Kate Mulgrew didn't sound too keen on the idea of returning as Kathryn Janeway for a similar series.0comments
“I don’t know. It surprised me when Patrick came out on the stage—I was there that day—and announced it. It surprised me that he wanted to. But I think he knows it will probably have a shot at being quite a hit. And there’s no one who likes to work as much as Patrick Stewart. And for him it will probably be very successful. Picard was beloved. Yeah, it’ll be interesting. I don’t know what to say about Janeway. Seven years is a long time to play a character. I’m not sure that she would enjoy resuscitation. She was a very, very vibrant person, while she was."
Would you like to see Shatner return as Kirk in a new Star Trek show? Let us know in the comments! Star Trek: Picard debuts on CBS All Access in late 2019.
More on this: 623 stories
- Star Trek Head Alex Kurtzman Explains How Star Wars Influenced His Approach to the Franchise
- Star Trek: Section 31 Plans to Begin Filming Immediately After Discovery Season 3 Wraps
- Star Trek's Alex Kurtzman Has a 5 to 10 Year Plan for the Franchise
- Alex Kurtzman Updates Us on Future of Star Trek Television
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 Mission to Include 2 Animated Episodes
- Alex Kurtzman wants Star Trek to appeal to a younger demographic
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Link Tank: An Anthony Bourdain Food Trail Has Grand Opening
- Alice Eve Returns as Carol Marcus for Star Trek Fleet Command
- Star Trek: Alex Kurtzman Addresses Discovery Spock & Pike Future
- Tarantino Star Trek must be Canon, Regardless of any Ratings
- Star Trek Miniature Phaser At San Diego Comic Con
- Star Trek: Section 31 Spinoff To Film After Discovery Season 3
- Star Trek: The 10 Most Heartbreaking Deaths, Ranked
- A Look Back: The Next Generation
- Star Trek EP Says He's Mapped Out The Franchise's Next 5 To 10 Years
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- "Star Trek: Picard": Jonathan Frakes' Directing Duties Have Wrapped
- Star Trek: Picard EP Teases Series' Ensemble Cast
- Several Animated Star Trek Projects Will Be Aimed at Kids
- Kurtzman On The Future Of Star Trek
- Is Star Trek about to have its very own Last Jedi moment?
- Kurtzman Talks Busy "Star Trek" TV Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Showrunner Thinking About the Enterprise's Return
- Hallmark announces 2019 convention exclusive Star Trek ornament