Is Jonathan Frakes Teasing A Return As Riker In Star Trek: Picard?
Star Trek: Picardis set to bring back Patrick Stewart as Jean-Luc Picard a whole 17 years since we last saw him in 2002’s Star Trek: Nemesis. As much of an unexpected treat as this is, fans can’t help but keep their fingers crossed that other characters from The Next Generationcould return as well. And it looks like such a thing might be happening. At least, according to a cryptic tweet from one of Stewart’s old co-stars.
Jonathan Frakes took to Twitter yesterday to share a picture of a trombone along with the caption: “My next project…” Though this seems completely innocuous at first glance, it’s got Trek lovers all a-buzz as Frakes’ character Commander Riker frequently played the trombone. So, is he hinting that he’s about to make a comeback as Riker in Picard?
Frakes is known to be involved with the series already, of course, in the capacity of director. If you think the trombone tweet could just refer to his next project being the Picard directing job, though, that wouldn’t make sense, as a previous photo he shared revealed that he’d already started helming the middle two episodes of production.
Things only get more interesting when you realize that fellow TNG star Brent Spiner has replied to Frakes’ tweet as well, saying: “Oh yeah!” This could be telling, as Spiner’s previously been rumored to be reprising his role as Data on Picard. This was huge news as it was the first time that we’d heard that any TNG characters other than Picard could appear on the show. Suffice it to say, having both Frakes and Spiner back on board alongside Stewart would be a dream come true for fans.
Star Trek: Picardis being described as a psychological character study that explores the former Enterprise-D captain in a dark period of his life. It’s expected to arrive on CBS All Access later this year and as soon as we get confirmation on the Riker situation, we’ll be sure to let you know.
More on this: 623 stories
- Star Trek Head Alex Kurtzman Explains How Star Wars Influenced His Approach to the Franchise
- Star Trek: Section 31 Plans to Begin Filming Immediately After Discovery Season 3 Wraps
- Star Trek's Alex Kurtzman Has a 5 to 10 Year Plan for the Franchise
- Alex Kurtzman Updates Us on Future of Star Trek Television
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 Mission to Include 2 Animated Episodes
- Alex Kurtzman wants Star Trek to appeal to a younger demographic
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Link Tank: An Anthony Bourdain Food Trail Has Grand Opening
- Alice Eve Returns as Carol Marcus for Star Trek Fleet Command
- Star Trek: Alex Kurtzman Addresses Discovery Spock & Pike Future
- Tarantino Star Trek must be Canon, Regardless of any Ratings
- Star Trek Miniature Phaser At San Diego Comic Con
- Star Trek: Section 31 Spinoff To Film After Discovery Season 3
- Star Trek: The 10 Most Heartbreaking Deaths, Ranked
- A Look Back: The Next Generation
- Star Trek EP Says He's Mapped Out The Franchise's Next 5 To 10 Years
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- "Star Trek: Picard": Jonathan Frakes' Directing Duties Have Wrapped
- Star Trek: Picard EP Teases Series' Ensemble Cast
- Several Animated Star Trek Projects Will Be Aimed at Kids
- Kurtzman On The Future Of Star Trek
- Is Star Trek about to have its very own Last Jedi moment?
- Kurtzman Talks Busy "Star Trek" TV Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Showrunner Thinking About the Enterprise's Return
- Hallmark announces 2019 convention exclusive Star Trek ornament