Star’s heartbreaking tribute to late actor
Star Trek lead actor Chris Pine has surprised the crowd at a screening of the movie in Los Angeles by introducing the trailer for a documentary about the death of one of its young stars.
Pine made his unexpected appearance at a special showing of Star Trek in honour of its 10th anniversary and shared his memories of Anton Yelchin who was 27 when he died in a tragic car accident.
A new documentary called Love, Antosha has now been made about his life.
Speaking to the crowd ahead of the trailer's debut, Pine shared his own memories of the young star.
"Obviously, we're here for Anton; he was one of my dear friends and I felt like I was only getting a chance to know him a better one when he passed," Pine said. "The film is incredible, and I think it'll show you all different sides of the guy that I knew - this curious, fascinating, complex, strange little dude."
Pine also opened up about working with Yelchin on the Star Trek movies, describing him as everyone's little brother.
"We saw him grow up and continue to get stranger, more curious … (about) music and literature and photography. You'll see all that in here (the documentary). Tons of letters that he wrote to his family who he was close with. And it's so touching to see how much love there is between Viktor and Irina, his parents, and Anton.
"I think it's a great legacy for whom I had a tremendous amount of respect and for this courageous young man who just had zero fear and boundless, endless positivity and an energy for life."
Yelchin, who was best known for playing Chekov in the new Star Trek films, died in 2017 after his Jeep rolled backward down a driveway and pinned him against a concrete mailbox.
More on this: 623 stories
- Star Trek Head Alex Kurtzman Explains How Star Wars Influenced His Approach to the Franchise
- Star Trek: Section 31 Plans to Begin Filming Immediately After Discovery Season 3 Wraps
- Star Trek's Alex Kurtzman Has a 5 to 10 Year Plan for the Franchise
- Alex Kurtzman Updates Us on Future of Star Trek Television
- "Star Trek: Short Treks" Season 2 Mission to Include 2 Animated Episodes
- Alex Kurtzman wants Star Trek to appeal to a younger demographic
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Link Tank: An Anthony Bourdain Food Trail Has Grand Opening
- Alice Eve Returns as Carol Marcus for Star Trek Fleet Command
- Star Trek: Alex Kurtzman Addresses Discovery Spock & Pike Future
- Tarantino Star Trek must be Canon, Regardless of any Ratings
- Star Trek Miniature Phaser At San Diego Comic Con
- Star Trek: Section 31 Spinoff To Film After Discovery Season 3
- Star Trek: The 10 Most Heartbreaking Deaths, Ranked
- A Look Back: The Next Generation
- Star Trek EP Says He's Mapped Out The Franchise's Next 5 To 10 Years
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- "Star Trek: Picard": Jonathan Frakes' Directing Duties Have Wrapped
- Star Trek: Picard EP Teases Series' Ensemble Cast
- Several Animated Star Trek Projects Will Be Aimed at Kids
- Kurtzman On The Future Of Star Trek
- Is Star Trek about to have its very own Last Jedi moment?
- Kurtzman Talks Busy "Star Trek" TV Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Showrunner Thinking About the Enterprise's Return
- Hallmark announces 2019 convention exclusive Star Trek ornament