Star Trek: Picard Producer on Breaking Star Trek Tradition With Show's Title
Star Trek: Picard will break a certain Star Trek tradition. It is the first series in franchise history, aside from The Original Series, not to be named after the vessel (or space station) on which the cast members serve. Instead, it’s named after its lead character, played by Patrick Stewart. How does that affect storytelling and the role fo the show’s supporting characters in relation to Picard in the new series?
Producer Alex Kurtzman addressed that topic during an interview on Deadline’s Crew Call podcast. “It’s a great and necessary question, and it’s something that has been baked into the DNA of Picard — yes, obviously Patrick, it’s Patrick — [but] we have an unbelievable cast. And you know, the thing that I loved about the Next Gen cast is that you really could have focused any episode on any of them. I would say the same about our cast now, that it’s such an incredibly brilliant group of actors [that are] given such amazing things to do. Without spoiling anything, I think that you will feel that.”
In addition to Stewart, the new Star Trek series also stars Alison Pill, Harry Treadaway, Isa Briones, Evan Evagora, Santiago Cabrera and Michelle Hurd. Hanelle Culpepper is directing the first two episodes of the series. The third and fourth episodes of the series will be directed by Stewart's The Next Generation co-star Jonathan Frakes.
“Eighteen years later. I think the fans are going to be thrilled and excited and surprised,” Frakes previously said of the series. “I have had the privilege of reading the first couple of episodes and I have spent some time with Patrick who is so engaged [laughs] Sorry. It’s wonderful. It’s smart. I’m excited about it. He is obviously more excited. His announcing of it at Las Vegas — which I believe was his idea —was very smart. You know he is 78, and he is going to be carrying the show on his shoulders, his considerable shoulders."
Kurtzman is a producer on the series. Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon serves as showrunner. “Daring, lyrical, humane, whimsical, celebrated: words that describe both Jean-Luc Picard and the literary genius of Michael Chabon,” said Kurtzman when Chabon's appointment was announced. “Despite a laundry list of accomplishments most writers only dream of, Michael shines with the heart and soul of a Trekkie who’s finally found his dream job. We’re so fortunate to have him at the helm as we explore this next chapter in the great captain’s life.”0comments
Have you subscribed to ComicBook Nation, the official Podcast of ComicBook.com yet? Check it out by clicking here or listen below.
In this latest episode we go all-in on Spider-Man: Far From Home with a spoiler-free review, big changes coming to WWE with the return of Eric Bischoff, a bit of Henry Cavill news and more! Make sure to subscribe now to never miss an episode!
More on this: 27 stories
- Everything We Learned from the STAR TREK: PICARD Comic-Con Panel + 5 New Photos
- 'Star Trek: Picard' to Feature Multiple 'Next Generation' Stars
- [GALLERY] Comic-Con 'Picard' Museum Gives Us Our First Look at Costumes & Props From the Series
- 'Star Trek: Picard' SDCC Trailer Highlights The Return Of Patrick Stewart
- Star Trek: Picard Not Ruling Out Next Generation Appearances
- STAR TREK: PICARD Production Photo Released, Details Revealed
- Tarantino's Trek Is "Pulp Fiction In Space"
- First STAR TREK: PICARD Key Art Revealed
- 'Star Trek Picard': Patrick Stewart Looks Away From the Stars in New Image
- Michael Chabon Named STAR TREK: PICARD Showrunner
- Michael Chabon named showrunner for Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek: Picard Series Gets A Showrunner
- Star Trek: Picard Hires Michael Chabon as Showrunner
- Michael Chabon Set as Showrunner for Star Trek: Picard Series
- Michael Chabon Set as Star Trek: Picard Showrunner for CBS All Access
- "Star Trek: Picard" Names Author Michael Chabon Series Showrunner
- Star Trek: Picard Series Sets Michael Chabon As Showrunner
- 'Star Trek: Picard' Picks Michael Chabon as Showrunner
- Star Trek: Picard Names Michael Chabon as Showrunner
- Chabon Named Showrunner Of Picard Show
- Michael Chabon to Run 'Star Trek: Picard' for CBS All Access
- Star Trek: Picard First Trailer Released
- 'Star Trek: Picard' Drops First Teaser Trailer, Poster (Watch)
- The First Star Trek: Picard Teaser Features a Retired Jean-Luc Picard
- Watch The Teaser For Patrick Stewart's 'Star Trek: Picard' Series