Comic-Con Offers First Look at STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS
As part of the Star Trek franchise’s major San Diego Comic-Com news, the first details of the upcoming Star Trek: Lower Decks animated series have been revealed.
The voice cast of the show features Tawny Newsome as “Beckett Mariner,” Noël Wells as “Tendi,” Eugene Cordero as “Rutherford,” and Jack Quaid as “Brad Boimler,” all ensigns on a California-class Starfleet support ship – a type of ship never seen in Star Trek before.
Meanwhile, on the bridge of the new ship, “Captain Carol Freeman” is voiced by Dawnn Lewis, “Commander Jack Ransom” is voiced by Jerry O’Connell, “Lieutenant Shaxs” is voiced by Fred Tatasciore, and “Doctor T’Ana” is voiced by Gillian Vigman.
As we previously reported, the series is coming from head writer and executive producer Mike McMahon, known for Rick and Morty, and is already set to get two seasons.
At the panel on Saturday, McMahon said that Lower Decks will be “accessible” to even non-Star Trek fans, but that some jokes will cater to Star Trek fans, mentioning Odo’s bucket, specifically.
Lower Decks will be produced by CBS Eye Animation Productions, CBS Television Studios’ new animation studio, along with Alex Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment. It is set to air in 2020 in 30-minute episodes.
More from SDCC ’19:
More on this: 6 stories
- Star Trek Lower Decks Cast, Character Designs, Ship Details Revealed
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Casts Jack Quaid, Jerry O'Connell and More
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Sets Main Cast
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks': Here's the Cast of Animated Series
- 'Star Trek: Lower Decks' Casts Jack Quaid (EXCLUSIVE)
- Star Trek: Lower Decks Reveals First Look at Show's Characters