Star Trek: Picard's New Dog's Name Confirmed
CBS All Access is gearing up for today's Star Trek Universe panel in Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con 2019. The panel will be Star Trek's biggest ever at the annual event. With the panel about to get underway, CBS All Access confirmed that the name of Jean-Luc Picard's new dog in Star Trek: Picard is indeed Number One.
The name was first hinted at on the dog's tag, as seen on the new poster for Star Trek: Picard. The tag is in the shape of a Starfleet insignia, calling back to Picard’s former career as a Starfleet officer. Zooming in on the tag reveals “No. 1” inscribed into it.
The name is a reference to Picard’s nickname for his first officers, most notably Cmdr. Will Riker from their time serving aboard the Enterprise. It seems the pup is Picard’s new second-in-command.
But what about Picard’s old Number One? Jonathan Frakes, who played Riker, will be back, but this time he’s behind the camera directing two episodes of the new CBS All Access series.
"Eighteen years later. I think the fans are going to be thrilled and excited and surprised,” Frakes said when he revealed his involvement with the new series. “I have had the privilege of reading the first couple of episodes and I have spent some time with Patrick who is so engaged [laughs] Sorry. It’s wonderful. It’s smart. I’m excited about it. He is obviously more excited. His announcing of it at Las Vegas — which I believe was his idea —was very smart. You know he is 78, and he is going to be carrying the show on his shoulders, his considerable shoulders.
“I’m excited for him and personally, I feel so blessed to back,” he continued. “It’s so ironic that I spent so many years trying to expand where I was working and I was lucky enough to get onto other types of shows. The directing has been a mitzvah for me—to learn another craft. And now I am deeply ensconced in the world I was in 31 years ago—and I’ve got to say—incredibly grateful for it, between The Orville, and Discovery and Picard. And hopefully the Empress Georgiou show.”
Frakes has directed three episodes of Star Trek: Discovery so far -- one in the first season and two in the second season -- and is expected to return in the show's third season.0comments
Are you excited about Star Trek: Picard? Let us know in the comments. Star Trek: Picard is expected to debut on CBS All Access in late 2019.
Have you subscribed to ComicBook Nation, the official Podcast of ComicBook.com yet? Check it out by clicking here or listen below.
In this latest episode we're all in on San Diego Comic Con 2019! Day two is done and we talk about The Witcher, The Walking Dead Season 10, Veronica Mars, Avengers: Endgame and more! Make sure to subscribe now to never miss an episode!
More on this: 22 stories
- Star Trek: Picard's Jonathan Frakes Confirms Riker and Troi Still Together in 'Non-Military' Situation in New Series
- Jonathan Frakes talks about being a part of Star Trek: Picard
- Picard: Two Next Generation Alums Comment on Joining Star Trek Series
- Star Trek Picard New Release Window Revealed
- New Star Trek: Picard Poster Revealed
- There's a Star Trek: The Next Generation Easter Egg on Picard's New Dog
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Cursing About Robots Makes Us Want Him as a Supervillain
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Tells You You're Right for 41 Seconds In New Viral Video
- Star Trek: Picard Producer on Breaking Star Trek Tradition With Show's Title
- Star Trek: Picard Hires Michael Chabon as Showrunner
- Star Trek: Picard Names Michael Chabon as Showrunner
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Shares Special Captain Picard Day Message
- Star Trek Supercut Shows Every "Make It So" In The Next Generation
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Questions Everything in Viral Supercut Video
- Star Trek: Picard: Is Jonathan Frakes Teasing a Return as Riker?
- Is Jonathan Frakes Teasing A Return As Riker In Star Trek: Picard?
- Star Trek: Picard wraps first episodes after trailer proves successful
- Star Trek: Picard Has Wrapped Production on Its First Block of Episodes
- Star Trek: Picard Trailer Turned Into a Viagra Commercial by Fan
- Star Trek: Picard First Trailer Released