Star Trek: The Motion Picture Returning To Theaters For Its 40th Anniversary
Star Trek: The Motion Picture was a very important moment in the history of the franchise. After the original series was cancelled in 1969, the future of Trek was in doubt. Fortunately, it started doing very well in syndication, gradually growing a passionate fanbase that continues to grow larger each year.
Based on this, Gene Roddenberry convinced Paramount Pictures that a feature film was the best way to bring these much-loved characters back, with the success of Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind convincing the studio to take a chance on it. The resulting film was a box office hit, but critics hated it, with reviews saying that the movie was too technical, too slow-paced (it was mockingly called Star Trek: The Motionless Picture) and that the plot didn’t make a huge amount of sense.
But time has been kind to the pic, with many retrospectives considering it a fine installment in the movie series. And now, modern audiences will get a chance to experience it the way the filmmakers intended: on the big screen.
To mark the film’s 40th anniversary, there will be nationwide Star Trek: The Motion Picture showings on September 15th, as part of a Fathom Events/AMC screening program. Tickets for the event are already on sale on Fandango and via AMC’s website. This announcement comes hot on the heels of Paramount announcing at Comic-Con that they’re releasing a 4K remaster of the movie as a Director’s Edition.
Personally, I’m pretty psyched about this. I’ve only ever seen Star Trek: The Motion Picture on a TV, though I’ve long wanted to watch those long, luxurious shots of the Enterprise under construction on an extremely big screen. Plus, Jerry Goldsmith’s score is still absolutely fantastic, and hearing it blasting out of a theatre’s sound system is sure to be amazing. I’m guessing this will sell out pretty fast, too, so I’d advise getting a ticket sooner rather than later.
More on this: 559 stories
- We Need Tig Notaro's Jett Reno as a Star Trek: Discovery Regular
- Star Trek Producer Comments on Possiblity of a Discovery Movie
- Star Trek: Discovery Producer Addresses The Possibility Of A Movie
- Star Wars and Star Trek: Why are there no seatbelts on spaceships? AMAZING official reason
- 'Star Trek: Short Treks' Review: Did Spock Just Laugh in 'Q&A'?
- Top 10 Vulcans In Star Trek, Ranked
- What Christopher Lloyd Has Done Since Back To The Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Is Bringing Back Deep Space Nine's Alien Races
- Star Trek's Nickelodeon Animated Series Will Tell Serialized Stories
- John Cho Injured on Cowboy Bebop Set, Production Halted
- 10 Worst Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Star Trek: 5 Scientifically Accurate Details (& 5 That Make No Sense)
- 'Jojo Rabbit' Composer Michael Giacchino on Setting the Right Tone
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Collateral Damage Book Review
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Producer Sets Crime Drama at CBS
- Every Arrow Easter egg and callback in the season 8 premiere
- Nasa unveils new spacesuit for next Moon landing
- Galaxy Quest Documentary Headed to Theaters, Trailer Released
- Star Trek: Picard Can Be Nostalgic (Because Of Discovery)
- Star Trek: Discovery coming to E4 in the UK
- 5 Things In Star Trek TNG That Make No Sense (And 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Nasa unveils spacesuits to be worn by first woman on the moon
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Captain Kirk Theories That Have Actually Been Confirmed
- 'Why Women Kill' Renewed for Season 2 at CBS All Access
- NASA: New spacesuits for Artemis moon landing program unveiled today have high-tech features, greater mobility