'Star Trek Fleet Command' Mobile Game Soars to $100M in Revenue
The free-to-play multiplayer strategy game is the fastest-growing release in developer Scopely's history, helping boost the company's overall earnings across the $1 billion mark.
Culver City-based mobile games company Scopely continues to have a stellar year as its Star Trek Fleet Command title, a massively-multiplayer online strategy game based on the popular sci-fi series, has generated $100 million in revenue since its launch last November.
Fleet Command is the company's fastest-growing title (the company also has branded Walking Dead, WWE and Looney Tunes games on its roster) and helped Scopely surpass the $1 billion revenue mark in June.
“Our team spends years building our games, so it’s hugely rewarding to have one of our products achieve the $100 million revenue milestone so quickly after launch," Scopely co-CEO Javier Ferreira said.
The game is based on the recent Star Trek film trilogy and allows players to assemble a team of their favorite Star Fleet commanders such as Captain Kirk or Spock as they engage in intergalactic battles against other players from around the globe. The game continues to introduce new officers, including Alice Eve's Carol Marcus and a new character based on musician Steve Aoki, D'Jaoki.
The success of Fleet Command led to the acquisition of Dublin-based studio DIGIT Games, which has collaborated with Scopely on the game since its earliest development stages in 2015. The company had previously opened offices in Barcelona in 2017.
Meanwhile, stateside, Scopely, which was founded in 2011 in Los Angeles, has expanded by leasing 60,000 square feet of office space in Culver City, more than doubling its footprint in the area.
More on this: 559 stories
- We Need Tig Notaro's Jett Reno as a Star Trek: Discovery Regular
- Star Trek Producer Comments on Possiblity of a Discovery Movie
- Star Trek: Discovery Producer Addresses The Possibility Of A Movie
- Star Wars and Star Trek: Why are there no seatbelts on spaceships? AMAZING official reason
- 'Star Trek: Short Treks' Review: Did Spock Just Laugh in 'Q&A'?
- Top 10 Vulcans In Star Trek, Ranked
- What Christopher Lloyd Has Done Since Back To The Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Is Bringing Back Deep Space Nine's Alien Races
- Star Trek's Nickelodeon Animated Series Will Tell Serialized Stories
- John Cho Injured on Cowboy Bebop Set, Production Halted
- 10 Worst Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Star Trek: 5 Scientifically Accurate Details (& 5 That Make No Sense)
- 'Jojo Rabbit' Composer Michael Giacchino on Setting the Right Tone
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Collateral Damage Book Review
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Producer Sets Crime Drama at CBS
- Every Arrow Easter egg and callback in the season 8 premiere
- Nasa unveils new spacesuit for next Moon landing
- Galaxy Quest Documentary Headed to Theaters, Trailer Released
- Star Trek: Picard Can Be Nostalgic (Because Of Discovery)
- Star Trek: Discovery coming to E4 in the UK
- 5 Things In Star Trek TNG That Make No Sense (And 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Nasa unveils spacesuits to be worn by first woman on the moon
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Captain Kirk Theories That Have Actually Been Confirmed
- 'Why Women Kill' Renewed for Season 2 at CBS All Access
- NASA: New spacesuits for Artemis moon landing program unveiled today have high-tech features, greater mobility