Star Trek: Picard's Jonathan Frakes Confirms Riker and Troi Still Together in 'Non-Military' Situation in New Series
Jonathan Frakes will return to his role as Will Riker from Star Trek: The Next Generation in the upcoming series Star Trek: Picard. He filmed his first new scenes as Riker in almost two decades on Monday, after which he spoke to IGN about returning to the role. “I was nervous!” he said. “I hadn't done it for…[Star Trek:] Nemesis was what? 17 years, 18 years [ago]. Luckily it was with my old pal, and I had just directed two episodes of the show. So I did [it] with Patrick who is just... He's crushing it on this series. He's just on fire. The trailer's awesome.”
Marina Sirtis is also returning to the series as her The Next Generation character, Deanna Troi. Riker and Troi married Star Trek: Nemesis and left Enterprise to command the USS Titan. Frakes confirms the couple is still together but hints that they may have left Starfleet, same as Jean-Luc Picard.
“Yeah, the stuff is great,” he said. “I can't obviously tell you, but Marina and I... Well, you'll see where we are. We're together, and it's quite… it's non-military. I'll say that.”
Did Riker and Troi resign from Starfleet? Could it have been to have a family? And if they’re not in Starfleet, what brings them and Picard together again? Fans will have to wait until Star Trek: Picard debuts in early 2020 to know for certain.
In addition to playing Riker, Frakes directed the third and fourth episodes of the series. “Eighteen years later. I think the fans are going to be thrilled and excited and surprised,” Frakes previously said of the series. “I have had the privilege of reading the first couple of episodes and I have spent some time with Patrick who is so engaged [laughs] Sorry. It’s wonderful. It’s smart. I’m excited about it. He is obviously more excited. His announcing of it at Las Vegas — which I believe was his idea —was very smart. You know he is 78, and he is going to be carrying the show on his shoulders, his considerable shoulders."0comments
Frakes and Sirtis aren't the only stars returning for Star Trek: Picard. Brent Spiner returns as Data and, in a less expected move, Jeri Ryan of Star Trek: Voyager returns as Seven of Nine.
Have you subscribed to ComicBook Nation, the official Podcast of ComicBook.com yet? Check it out by clicking here or listen below.
The crew is recovering from Comic-Con and we're digging through all the week's news headed into the weekend. The trailer for Will Smith's Gemini Man, a new era of X-Men, our expectations for Zombieland Double Tap, as well as what's new for the Halloween franchise - we're diving deep in this episode of #ComicBookNation! Make sure to subscribe now to never miss an episode!
More on this: 21 stories
- Jonathan Frakes talks about being a part of Star Trek: Picard
- Picard: Two Next Generation Alums Comment on Joining Star Trek Series
- Star Trek: Picard's New Dog's Name Confirmed
- Star Trek Picard New Release Window Revealed
- New Star Trek: Picard Poster Revealed
- There's a Star Trek: The Next Generation Easter Egg on Picard's New Dog
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Cursing About Robots Makes Us Want Him as a Supervillain
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Tells You You're Right for 41 Seconds In New Viral Video
- Star Trek: Picard Producer on Breaking Star Trek Tradition With Show's Title
- Star Trek: Picard Hires Michael Chabon as Showrunner
- Star Trek: Picard Names Michael Chabon as Showrunner
- Jonathan Frakes Wraps on Star Trek: Picard
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Joins In On Captain Picard Day Celebrations
- Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Shares Special Captain Picard Day Message
- Star Trek Supercut Shows Every "Make It So" In The Next Generation
- Star Trek's Jonathan Frakes Questions Everything in Viral Supercut Video
- Star Trek: Picard: Is Jonathan Frakes Teasing a Return as Riker?
- Is Jonathan Frakes Teasing A Return As Riker In Star Trek: Picard?
- Star Trek: Picard wraps first episodes after trailer proves successful
- Star Trek: Picard Has Wrapped Production on Its First Block of Episodes
- Star Trek: Picard Trailer Turned Into a Viagra Commercial by Fan