“Star Trek: The Motion Picture” Returns to Theaters for 40th Anniversary
Get ready to relive a piece of science fiction history as Star Trek: The Motion Picture returns to the theaters for its 40th anniversary. It’s hard to imagine it has only been 40 years since Star Trek was introduced on the silver screen becoming the beneficiary of a new wave of science fiction films in the 1970s led by Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Created by GeneRoddenberry, Star Trek: The Original Series, canceled in 1969 on television after three seasons, would revive through film starting with 1979’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The film’s re-release comes courtesy of Fathom Events and Paramount, according to Entertainment Weekly. The film will be released in a limited two-day engagement on September 15th and 18th in more than 500 theaters and will include the behind-the-scenes documentary The Longest Trek: Writing the Motion Picture..
The Motion Picture is the first of six films reuniting The Original Series cast with William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, Walter Koenig, and James Doohan.
Directed by Robert Wise and written by Harold Livingston and Alan Dean Foster, the film takes place in what was to be Star Trek: Phase II. The crew of the USS Enterprise is in a race against time to battle V’Ger, an intelligent hostile alien probe from wreaking further havoc across the galaxy on its way to Earth.
While the visual FX of Star Trek: The Motion Picture hasn’t aged as well as certain contemporaries, it was revolutionary for its time with its expansive color palette reminiscent of the Stanley Kubrick1968 masterpiece, 2001: A Space Odyssey.
What’s your favorite memory of The Motion Picture?
About Tom Chang
I'm a gamer, sci-fi and fantasy fan. film and TV snob. I love to write and read the classics. Anything you want to talk about, I'm here to entertain or at least pretend to be interested.
(Last Updated July 29, 2019 1:35 pm )
More on this: 559 stories
- We Need Tig Notaro's Jett Reno as a Star Trek: Discovery Regular
- Star Trek Producer Comments on Possiblity of a Discovery Movie
- Star Trek: Discovery Producer Addresses The Possibility Of A Movie
- Star Wars and Star Trek: Why are there no seatbelts on spaceships? AMAZING official reason
- 'Star Trek: Short Treks' Review: Did Spock Just Laugh in 'Q&A'?
- Top 10 Vulcans In Star Trek, Ranked
- What Christopher Lloyd Has Done Since Back To The Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Is Bringing Back Deep Space Nine's Alien Races
- Star Trek's Nickelodeon Animated Series Will Tell Serialized Stories
- John Cho Injured on Cowboy Bebop Set, Production Halted
- 10 Worst Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Star Trek: 5 Scientifically Accurate Details (& 5 That Make No Sense)
- 'Jojo Rabbit' Composer Michael Giacchino on Setting the Right Tone
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Collateral Damage Book Review
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Producer Sets Crime Drama at CBS
- Every Arrow Easter egg and callback in the season 8 premiere
- Nasa unveils new spacesuit for next Moon landing
- Galaxy Quest Documentary Headed to Theaters, Trailer Released
- Star Trek: Picard Can Be Nostalgic (Because Of Discovery)
- Star Trek: Discovery coming to E4 in the UK
- 5 Things In Star Trek TNG That Make No Sense (And 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Nasa unveils spacesuits to be worn by first woman on the moon
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Captain Kirk Theories That Have Actually Been Confirmed
- 'Why Women Kill' Renewed for Season 2 at CBS All Access
- NASA: New spacesuits for Artemis moon landing program unveiled today have high-tech features, greater mobility