William Shatner Would Like to Play Captain Kirk in Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’
It’s been many years since William Shatner played Captain Kirk in a Star Trekfilm. But even with all that time gone — even with Chris Pine doing a very good job playing Kirk in three recent Star Trek movies — few actors are as closely identified with a role as Shatner is with Kirk. Pine’s Star Trek movies for J.J. Abrams did feature Leonard Nimoy as the old Spock — but there was no Shatner appearances in any of the films.
But perhaps Shatner has one more Kirk performance left in him. Asked by Reuters about the rumors of Quentin Tarantino making a Star Trek movie next, Shatner was enthusiastic about the possibility, saying he “like to do it” while adding “Whether I’d be up for it, I don’t know.”
Shatner’s references to Tarantino talking to him are probably in regards to this Deadline interview, where Tarantino credited Shatner as his main reason for loving Star Trek in the first place. His exact words:
Shatner is now 88 years old (and looks shockingly good for a guy his age). Tarantino’s Star Trek is still not a sure thing. If it happens, though, and Shatner is still in good health, it seems inconceivable to me that Tarantino would not find some kind of role for Shatner — either as an older Kirk or in some other kind of cameo. Tarantino’s whole schtick is finding aging neglected actors and showing how good they can still be. It’s honestly kind of surprising he hasn’t cast Shatner in something before! At least 30 percent of the reason I want this movie to happen is to see those two work together.
Gallery — Every Quentin Tarantino Movie, Ranked From Worst to Best:
More on this: 20 stories
- Devil's Revenge Trailer: William Shatner & Jeri Ryan Open a Portal to Hell
- Devil's Revenge Trailer Sends Star Trek's William Shatner, Jeri Ryan to Hell
- Devil's Revenge Trailer: William Shatner Shoots Demons With A Shotgun
- Tarantino vs. 'Star Trek': The female collaborators we want to see
- William Shatner Envisions Captain Kirk Running Wild in Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek
- Karl Urban: Studio would be “insane” not to make Tarantino's Star Trek
- Karl Urban Says A Quentin Tarantino 'Star Trek' Film Would Be "Phenomenal"
- William Shatner Wants To Run Wild In Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- Studio Would Have To Be Insane Not To Make Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek According To Karl Urban
- Why Quentin Tarantino Should Not Direct the Next Star Trek
- Tarantino vs. Star Trek: Everything you need to know
- William Shatner willing to return for Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek
- William Shatner Wants to Reprise Captain Kirk for Tarantino's Star Trek
- William Shatner wants to be in a Quentin Tarantino Star Trek film
- Star Trek: William Shatner Wants to Be a Part of the Quentin Tarantino Movie
- Star Trek: William Shatner Would Return For Quentin Tarantino's Film
- William Shatner Says He Wants To Be In Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek
- William Shatner keen to reprise Star Trek role
- Will Quentin Tarantino really make Star Trek his final frontier?
- Tarantino's Star Trek Script is Set in the 'Chris Pine Timeline'