How Patrick Stewart Was Lured Back for Star Trek: Picard
One of the biggest surprises last summer was the announcement that Patrick Stewart would return to reprise his iconic role as Jean-Luc Picard in CBS All Access' Star Trek: Picard. The news was praised by fans worldwide, with the upcoming series premiering later this year on the premium streaming service.
While delivering a keynote speech at a conference of the National Association of Television Program Executives in Los Angeles, CBS All Access Executive Vice President of Original Content Julie McNamara shed some light on how Stewart was convinced to return to the role since his last appearance in 2002's Star Trek: Nemesis.Click the button below to start this article in quick view. Start now
"We approached him at a time when he felt inspired to tell this story in a certain way. When I say ‘We,’ it wasn’t me. It was Alex Kurtzman and Michael Chabon," McNamara explained. "They made a compelling case. … for looking at Picard in that last act of his life.”
Kurtzman oversees CBS' expanding line of new Star Trek series and will executive produce Picard. In addition to executive producing the series, Chabon also serves as the showrunner after heading its writers' room. McNamara noted that the concept of the upcoming series telling an overarching story, rather than largely self-contained episodes, was an approach Stewart personally found "compelling."
Set 18 years after the events of Nemesis, Picard has retired from Starfleet and quietly runs his family's vineyard in France. However, he quickly finds himself back on a new adventure in the cosmos, with several familiar faces appearing along the way.
Debuting in 2020 on CBS All Access, Star Trek: Picard stars Patrick Stewart, Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Isa Briones, Santiago Cabrera and Harry Treadaway.
More on this: 559 stories
- We Need Tig Notaro's Jett Reno as a Star Trek: Discovery Regular
- Star Trek Producer Comments on Possiblity of a Discovery Movie
- Star Trek: Discovery Producer Addresses The Possibility Of A Movie
- Star Wars and Star Trek: Why are there no seatbelts on spaceships? AMAZING official reason
- 'Star Trek: Short Treks' Review: Did Spock Just Laugh in 'Q&A'?
- Top 10 Vulcans In Star Trek, Ranked
- What Christopher Lloyd Has Done Since Back To The Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Is Bringing Back Deep Space Nine's Alien Races
- Star Trek's Nickelodeon Animated Series Will Tell Serialized Stories
- John Cho Injured on Cowboy Bebop Set, Production Halted
- 10 Worst Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Star Trek: 5 Scientifically Accurate Details (& 5 That Make No Sense)
- 'Jojo Rabbit' Composer Michael Giacchino on Setting the Right Tone
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Collateral Damage Book Review
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Producer Sets Crime Drama at CBS
- Every Arrow Easter egg and callback in the season 8 premiere
- Nasa unveils new spacesuit for next Moon landing
- Galaxy Quest Documentary Headed to Theaters, Trailer Released
- Star Trek: Picard Can Be Nostalgic (Because Of Discovery)
- Star Trek: Discovery coming to E4 in the UK
- 5 Things In Star Trek TNG That Make No Sense (And 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Nasa unveils spacesuits to be worn by first woman on the moon
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Captain Kirk Theories That Have Actually Been Confirmed
- 'Why Women Kill' Renewed for Season 2 at CBS All Access
- NASA: New spacesuits for Artemis moon landing program unveiled today have high-tech features, greater mobility