Studio Would Have To Be Insane Not To Make Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek According To Karl Urban
While filmmaker Quentin Tarantino's insistence that he will retire after his next (tenth) feature film has got most people assuming Star Trek is off the table, a script for his "Pulp Fiction in Space" take on the characters apparently does exist, and actor Karl Urban, who has appeared in the three most recent Star Trek movies, says that if Tarantino wants to do it, the studio would be crazy not to let him. The topic came up during an interview in support of The Boys, the Amazon mega-hit on which Urban appears as Billy Butcher.
During a conversation with HuffPost, Urban expressed his enthusiasm for the Tarantino project, which may be the Star Trek movie with the best chance of getting made at present, since contract negotiations have fallen through for Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine, leaving Star Trek 4 to be pulled from Paramount's development slate. The Tarantino film would still require reworking contracts, but the project being so much different might help to change the conversations a little bit.
“This is a project that I have no information about, really. I haven’t read a script for it, but I understand the basic concept of it,” Urban said in his interview. “I think Quentin Tarantino doing that film would be phenomenal. He is definitely one of the most exciting filmmakers that’s currently working and if he has an interest in making a Star Trek film, I think the studio would be insane not to let him do that.”
It is still uncertain whether Tarantino even wants to direct a Star Trek film. He pitched the idea for the film to producer JJ Abrams. Paramount Pictures put the idea ot a writers’ room and Mark L. Smith has completed a script. At last check-in, Tarantino still needed to review that script. Paramount hoped to have Tarantino direct the film himself, but there were scheduling concerns. With Once Upon a Time in Hollywood complete, the film could be Tarantino's next project -- but only if he were to decide to do it.
“I guess I do have a loophole, [if] the idea was to throw a loophole into it,” he recently explained. “Which would be [to go], ‘Uhhh, I guess Star Trek doesn't count. I can do Star Trek … but naturally, I would end on an original.’ But the idea of doing 10 isn't to come up with a loophole. I actually think, if I was going to do Star Trek, I should commit to it. It's my last movie. There should be nothing left-handed about it. I don't know if I'm going to do that, but that might happen.”
There's little known about Tarantino's plans for Star Trek other than that the film, should he direct, will carry an R rating. There hasn't even been confirmation about whether the stars of The Kelvin Timeline Star Trek Trilogy will return, though they seem hopeful.0comments
“I mean, it’s been a broad conversation that we’ve been having for a while in terms of what’s the future of the franchise,” Zachary Quinto has said. “It’s in
Stick to ComicBook.com for updates on the will-they-or-won't-they around this project.
Have you subscribed to ComicBook Nation, the official Podcast of ComicBook.com yet? Check it out by clicking here or listen below.
The crew is back with Episode 55 and there's a lot to cover headed into the weekend. We're breaking down the Disney+ subscription offer, a Home Alone Reboot, and Planet of the Apes projects on the horizon. We're also previewing WWE's 2019 Summer Slam event - all in today's episode of #ComicBookNation! Make sure to subscribe now to never miss an episode!
More on this: 36 stories
- Star Trek: Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie Want in on Quentin Tarantino's Movie
- William Shatner Envisions Captain Kirk Running Wild in Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek
- William Shatner Wants To Run Wild In Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie
- Tarantino vs. Star Trek: Everything you need to know
- William Shatner willing to return for Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek
- William Shatner Wants to Reprise Captain Kirk for Tarantino's Star Trek
- William Shatner Wants to Be Captain Kirk in Tarantino's Star Trek
- Star Trek: William Shatner Wants to Be a Part of the Quentin Tarantino Movie
- Star Trek: William Shatner Would Return For Quentin Tarantino's Film
- William Shatner Says He Wants To Be In Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek
- Will Quentin Tarantino really make Star Trek his final frontier?
- Tarantino Doesn't Even Understand How Star Trek Timeline Works
- Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek set in the Chris Pine timeline
- Quentin Tarantino Can't Make Sense of the Star Trek Movies Continuity
- Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek potentially set in Prime Timeline
- Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Movie Is Set In the Chris Pine Timeline
- Tarantino's Star Trek Script is Set in the 'Chris Pine Timeline'
- Quentin Tarantino Confirms His Star Trek Movie's Set In The Kelvin Timeline
- Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek Film Will Be Pulp Fiction, But in Space
- Quentin Tarantino Likes Star Trek More Than Star Wars Because William Shatner's in It
- Quentin Tarantino Says His STAR TREK Will Be “PULP FICTION In Space”
- Tarantino's Star Trek Will Be Pulp Fiction in Space with a Gangster Element
- Star Trek Could Be Quentin Tarantino's Last Movie
- Star Trek's William Shatner Teases New Show on History Channel
- William Shatner Doesn't Get the Fuss Over Tarantino's R-Rated Star Trek