Jonathan Frakes Was A Nervous Wreck Returning As Riker For Star Trek: Picard
While we still have a few months to go before it officially debuts, the excitement and anticipation surrounding Star Trek: Picardhas hit an all-time high, thanks in part to a brand new trailer that premiered at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con, giving fans a new glimpse at the upcoming CBS All Access series.
The video, which has since racked up well over 5 million views across a handful of YouTube channels, showed off a few familiar faces, including former Borg drone Seven of Nine, and the universe’s only surviving Soong-type android, Data. Of course, it’s already been confirmed Marina Sirtis will be returning as Deanna Troi, and that Jonathan Frakes is directing a few episodes, as well as reprising his role as William Riker.
Ever since Star Trek: The Next Generationwent off the air, Frakes has kept busy as a director, having worked on a handful of TV series over the past decade, including Burn Notice, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and The Orville. That being said, it looks like he has been doing less work in front of the camera, with most of his acting roles taking the form of voiceovers.
As a result, it seems he was a bit afraid when it came time to reprise his part as Riker for Star Trek: Picard. As ComicBook.com reports, Frakes admitted that he was nervous about acting alongside Patrick Steward and other castmates during a talk he gave at Fan Expo Canada.
It’s not entirely clear how big of a role William Riker will play in the new series, but we’re incredibly excited to see some of our favorite characters from the franchise back on the small screen. We’re hoping CBS will announce a proper premiere date for Star Trek: Picard very soon as well, so be sure to keep checking back for more updates and announcements as they come down the pipeline.
More on this: 812 stories
- New Creepshow Trailer Previews The Twelve Tales of Terror
- "Creepshow" Offers Look at Things "That Will Drive You Insane" [Trailer]
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Main Characters of Enterprise
- Academy Adds 7 Members to SciTech Council
- Eaglemoss Hero Collector debuts its first ever Star Trek variant cover for NYCC
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo attending this weekend's convention at Centre 200
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Borg Fan Theories That Were Actually Confirmed
- Star Trek: Year Five #6 Variant Cover At NYCC
- Sirtis: A Fun Reunion With Some Next Generation Actors
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Begin Filming in March
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Could Film In March Of Next Year
- Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "surprised" by series
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard
- Hero Collector Brings U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 to IDW's Star Trek Year Five Variant For NYCC
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets You Never Knew About The Makeup
- Star Trek: Picard Can Unite The Divided Fandom
- Lord of The Rings TV series: What we know so far
- Canadian stars Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Patrick Stewart Says Fans May Be Shocked By Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Actor Anthony Rapp Talks Diversity, Science and New Role in 'Star Trek Online'
- 'SEAL Team' Showrunner Steps Down After CBS Investigation (Exclusive)
- Star Trek is aiming for a younger and more relevant revamp
- Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless Coming in December
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Questions About Data, Answered