Returning for Star Trek: Picard Stressed Out Jonathan Frakes
It has been eighteen years since Johnathan Frakes, and his beard, was William Riker, and with the upcoming Star Trek: Picard getting the band back together, it’s going to be a time for all the actors to revisit characters that made them public icons. Frakes, who played the bearded second-in-command of the Enterprise, spoke recently about what it was like coming back to the role after almost two decades.
According to ComicBook.com, during at Fan Expo Canada (August 22–25 2019), Frakes shared that the idea of not just directing Sir Patrick Stewart, but acting alongside him again, in Picard led to some moments of stress for him:
Despite not being in the captain’s chair, Frakes has spent a lot of time in the director’s chair, having worked on episodes of the Fox show The Orville, Star Trek: Discovery, and of course, Picard. He is also, like me, hoping for that Empress Georgiou show.
Picard has gotten me so excited and has pushed me to be going even harder on my Trek watch, because I want to understand everything, but I’m also so, so late to the party that it feels like I’ll be watching forever—which isn’t all bad. Plus, I love that this is a series that has inspired the actors to be so loyal to the characters in their own minds. As a fan of that level of meta, it makes me even more excited to finish everything.
Also, I was today days old when I found that Johnathan Frakes was Xanatos in Gargoyles, which means that Xanatos and Demona are Riker and Deanna. The crossover levels are immense.
(via io9, image: Paramount)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
—The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.—
More on this: 812 stories
- New Creepshow Trailer Previews The Twelve Tales of Terror
- "Creepshow" Offers Look at Things "That Will Drive You Insane" [Trailer]
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Main Characters of Enterprise
- Academy Adds 7 Members to SciTech Council
- Eaglemoss Hero Collector debuts its first ever Star Trek variant cover for NYCC
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo attending this weekend's convention at Centre 200
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Borg Fan Theories That Were Actually Confirmed
- Star Trek: Year Five #6 Variant Cover At NYCC
- Sirtis: A Fun Reunion With Some Next Generation Actors
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Begin Filming in March
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Could Film In March Of Next Year
- Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "surprised" by series
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard
- Hero Collector Brings U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 to IDW's Star Trek Year Five Variant For NYCC
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets You Never Knew About The Makeup
- Star Trek: Picard Can Unite The Divided Fandom
- Lord of The Rings TV series: What we know so far
- Canadian stars Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Patrick Stewart Says Fans May Be Shocked By Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Actor Anthony Rapp Talks Diversity, Science and New Role in 'Star Trek Online'
- 'SEAL Team' Showrunner Steps Down After CBS Investigation (Exclusive)
- Star Trek is aiming for a younger and more relevant revamp
- Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless Coming in December
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Questions About Data, Answered