'Lord of the Rings' Series at Amazon Casts Will Poulter in Lead Role
Amazon has found of the leads for its big-budget Lord of the Rings series.
Will Poulter (Midsommar) will star in the show based on J.R.R. Tolkien's iconic fantasy novels. Details of his role are being kept under wraps. He will join Australian actress Markella Kavenagh, who was the first person to be cast in the project.
Amazon declined comment.
The tech and retail giant acquired rights to LOTR in a $250 million deal that includes a multi-season commitment for the series. Showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay (Star Trek 4) are adapting the story, which is set in Middle-Earth's Second Age, before the events of Tolkien's primary trilogy — The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King.
J.A. Bayona (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) is set to direct the first two episodes and will executive produce along with his producing partner Belén Atienza. Writers Gennifer Hutchison (Breaking Bad), Jason Cahill (The Sopranos) and Justin Doble (Stranger Things) are also EPs, as are Lindsey Weber, Bruce Richmond, Gene Kelly and former Amazon head of genre Sharon Tal Yguado.
Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke said in August that the creative team has been "working for months" on breaking the first season of the show. Production is slated to begin in 2020.
Once production budgets, casting, writers, producers and visual effects are factored in, the total cost for the LOTR series could reach as high $1 billion.
Poulter's credits also include Black Mirror: Bandersnatch, Detroit, The Revenant and the Maze Runner series. He is repped by WME and Hamilton Hodell in the U.K.
Variety first reported the news.
More on this: 812 stories
- New Creepshow Trailer Previews The Twelve Tales of Terror
- "Creepshow" Offers Look at Things "That Will Drive You Insane" [Trailer]
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Main Characters of Enterprise
- Academy Adds 7 Members to SciTech Council
- Eaglemoss Hero Collector debuts its first ever Star Trek variant cover for NYCC
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo attending this weekend's convention at Centre 200
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Borg Fan Theories That Were Actually Confirmed
- Star Trek: Year Five #6 Variant Cover At NYCC
- Sirtis: A Fun Reunion With Some Next Generation Actors
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Begin Filming in March
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Could Film In March Of Next Year
- Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "surprised" by series
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard
- Hero Collector Brings U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 to IDW's Star Trek Year Five Variant For NYCC
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets You Never Knew About The Makeup
- Star Trek: Picard Can Unite The Divided Fandom
- Lord of The Rings TV series: What we know so far
- Canadian stars Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Patrick Stewart Says Fans May Be Shocked By Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Actor Anthony Rapp Talks Diversity, Science and New Role in 'Star Trek Online'
- 'SEAL Team' Showrunner Steps Down After CBS Investigation (Exclusive)
- Star Trek is aiming for a younger and more relevant revamp
- Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless Coming in December
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Questions About Data, Answered