Star Trek: Discovery writer reveals he quit series after being "chastised" for using the N-word
A Star Trek: Discovery writer has revealed he quit the series after being chastised over using the N-word in the workplace.
Walter Mosley, who is black, made the revelation in an op-ed for The New York Times on Friday (September 6).
Titled 'Why I Quit The Writer's Room', Mosley details how he was "chastised" by Human Resources for using the word, which eventually led him to quit the series, arguing that "the worst thing you can do to citizens of a democracy is silence them".
While Mosley didn't name the CBS show specifically in his essay, it is has since been confirmed that Star Trek: Discovery was the show he was writing about.
In a statement to The Hollywood Reporter, CBS TV Studios said: "We have the greatest admiration for Mr. Mosley's writing talents and were excited to have him join Star Trek: Discovery.
"While we cannot comment on the specifics of confidential employee matters, we are committed to supporting a workplace where employees feel free to express concerns and where they feel comfortable performing their best work.
"We wish Mr. Mosley much continued success."
Mosley's op-ed comes after it was revealed that the third season of Star Trek: Discoverywon't air until 2020.
It also comes after the show's co-creator Alex Kursman teased that season 3 will "shake up canon hugely".
It looks like it will be doing that without any help from Mosley.
More on this: 812 stories
- New Creepshow Trailer Previews The Twelve Tales of Terror
- "Creepshow" Offers Look at Things "That Will Drive You Insane" [Trailer]
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Main Characters of Enterprise
- Academy Adds 7 Members to SciTech Council
- Eaglemoss Hero Collector debuts its first ever Star Trek variant cover for NYCC
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo attending this weekend's convention at Centre 200
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Borg Fan Theories That Were Actually Confirmed
- Star Trek: Year Five #6 Variant Cover At NYCC
- Sirtis: A Fun Reunion With Some Next Generation Actors
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Begin Filming in March
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Could Film In March Of Next Year
- Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "surprised" by series
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard
- Hero Collector Brings U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 to IDW's Star Trek Year Five Variant For NYCC
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets You Never Knew About The Makeup
- Star Trek: Picard Can Unite The Divided Fandom
- Lord of The Rings TV series: What we know so far
- Canadian stars Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Patrick Stewart Says Fans May Be Shocked By Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Actor Anthony Rapp Talks Diversity, Science and New Role in 'Star Trek Online'
- 'SEAL Team' Showrunner Steps Down After CBS Investigation (Exclusive)
- Star Trek is aiming for a younger and more relevant revamp
- Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless Coming in December
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Questions About Data, Answered