William Shatner Celebrates Star Trek On Its 53rd Anniversary
It’s Star Trekday, everyone! September 8th marks 53 years to the day that the original 1966 sci-fi series from the mind of Gene Roddenberry first arrived on our screens, kicking off an immortal franchise in the process. Fans are naturally flocking to social media today to celebrate the anniversary of the day the journey began and one of those of is James Tiberius Kirk himself, William Shatner.
The TOS star took to Twitter to share a short birthday message on Trek‘s 53rd anniversary. Along with that, he posted a snap from the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise, featuring himself as Kirk in the captain’s chair as ever.
53 isn’t a particularly notable anniversary, but it’s worth celebrating as Star Trek is arguably in much better shape than it was back in 2016 when it reached its 50th birthday. Though the movie series is currently in limbo, Trek is thriving on its natural home of TV. There’s Star Trek: Discoveryand anthology series Short Treksalready on the air, with several more series in the works, too. That includes two animated shows, a Section 31 spinoff and, most notably, a Picardseries which marks the comeback of Sir Patrick Stewart for the first time since 2002.
And, with all these shows in the works, could there be room for Shatner himself to return as Kirk? Obviously, there’s a pretty big roadblock to this as the character died back in Star Trek: Generations. However, presuming the writers can find a way around that, the star is open to returning to his most iconic role once more. Oh, and if Quentin Tarantino could put him in his upcoming R-rated Trek movie, he’d love that, too.
As it’s Star TrekDay though, let us know your favorite parts of the franchise, be it favorite captain, movie, TV show, etc., in the comments section down below
More on this: 812 stories
- New Creepshow Trailer Previews The Twelve Tales of Terror
- "Creepshow" Offers Look at Things "That Will Drive You Insane" [Trailer]
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Main Characters of Enterprise
- Academy Adds 7 Members to SciTech Council
- Eaglemoss Hero Collector debuts its first ever Star Trek variant cover for NYCC
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo attending this weekend's convention at Centre 200
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Borg Fan Theories That Were Actually Confirmed
- Star Trek: Year Five #6 Variant Cover At NYCC
- Sirtis: A Fun Reunion With Some Next Generation Actors
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Begin Filming in March
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Could Film In March Of Next Year
- Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "surprised" by series
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard
- Hero Collector Brings U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 to IDW's Star Trek Year Five Variant For NYCC
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets You Never Knew About The Makeup
- Star Trek: Picard Can Unite The Divided Fandom
- Lord of The Rings TV series: What we know so far
- Canadian stars Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Patrick Stewart Says Fans May Be Shocked By Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Actor Anthony Rapp Talks Diversity, Science and New Role in 'Star Trek Online'
- 'SEAL Team' Showrunner Steps Down After CBS Investigation (Exclusive)
- Star Trek is aiming for a younger and more relevant revamp
- Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless Coming in December
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Questions About Data, Answered