William Shatner Celebrates Star Trek's 53rd Anniversary
An important mission log is being recorded by one of the first captains to ever greet Star Trek fans. Today, the beloved sci-fi franchise turns 53 years old, and William Shatner is celebrating the beginning of Star Trek's legacy with fans online.
Taking to Twitter, the star posted a short message honoring the anniversary of Star Trek: The Original Series. On this day 53 years ago, the first episode of Star Trek was released with Shatner leading the team as Captain Kirk.
"Happy Anniversary, Star Trek," the actor wrote. Shatner also posted a photo of himself on the Bridge from the original series, and he looks as confident as ever sitting in the Captain's Chair.
With the franchise now 53 years old, fans are taking the time to look bak at all the things Star Trek has accomplished. The series ranks up with Star Wars as one of the most-recognizable sci-fi titles to ever hit the screen. Creator Gene Roddenberry had no idea how successful the series would be when he pieced it together, and it has gone on to rule pop culture time and again. Star Trek has spawned more than five TV series along with a handful of films including J.J. Abrams' blockbuster reboots. From video games to merchandise and animated series, Star Trek has done it all, and there is still more to come.0comments
For instance, CBS is still investing heavily in Star Trek as a slew of shows are in the works. Not only is Star Trek: Discovery at work on season three, but Jean-Luc Picard will return in a series all his own this year. An animated TV series titled Star Trek: Lower Decks is also in the works, and fans can expect more bold projects to drop in the coming years. And who knows? Maybe the series will come knocking on Shatner's door before long to bring him back into the franchise for a victory lap.
More on this: 812 stories
- New Creepshow Trailer Previews The Twelve Tales of Terror
- "Creepshow" Offers Look at Things "That Will Drive You Insane" [Trailer]
- Star Trek: 10 Things You Never Knew About The Main Characters of Enterprise
- Academy Adds 7 Members to SciTech Council
- Eaglemoss Hero Collector debuts its first ever Star Trek variant cover for NYCC
- Star Trek's Robert Picardo attending this weekend's convention at Centre 200
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Borg Fan Theories That Were Actually Confirmed
- Star Trek: Year Five #6 Variant Cover At NYCC
- Sirtis: A Fun Reunion With Some Next Generation Actors
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 May Begin Filming in March
- Star Trek: Picard Season 2 Could Film In March Of Next Year
- Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "surprised" by series
- Star Trek: Patrick Stewart Thinks Fans May Be Shocked By Picard
- Hero Collector Brings U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 to IDW's Star Trek Year Five Variant For NYCC
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Behind-The-Scenes Secrets You Never Knew About The Makeup
- Star Trek: Picard Can Unite The Divided Fandom
- Lord of The Rings TV series: What we know so far
- Canadian stars Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Virtue, Moir say in video they're "stepping away" from ice dancing
- Patrick Stewart Says Fans May Be Shocked By Star Trek: Picard
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Actor Anthony Rapp Talks Diversity, Science and New Role in 'Star Trek Online'
- 'SEAL Team' Showrunner Steps Down After CBS Investigation (Exclusive)
- Star Trek is aiming for a younger and more relevant revamp
- Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless Coming in December
- Star Trek TNG: 10 Questions About Data, Answered