Picard star Patrick Stewart thinks Star Trek fans will be "shocked" by series
Those expecting Star Trek: Picardto retread familiar ground are going to be pleasantly surprised and possibly even "shocked" by the new series, according to Sir Patrick Stewart.
The legendary actor is making a return to the role of Jean-Luc Picard for the show, but he insists it's not a backward step, promising it will actually take Star Trek forward.
Speaking to Examiner, Stewart said: "I don't regard it as going back. In fact, we are definitely moving the series forward and that's what made the difference for me."
"It was a very difficult decision," added the actor, who turned down the opportunity to return to the role twice before.
He went on to explain that he was persuaded by the producers after being told how the world would progress and that it would be vastly different to the last time Picard put on his red captain's uniform.
"We are looking at a new world with new objectives, problems and issues that could not have been raised when we were making The Next Generation and I found that very exciting," he said.
"It's very exciting and people will be surprised and perhaps even shocked."
Well, we're well and truly on board and ready to be energised. Make it so.
More on this: 559 stories
- We Need Tig Notaro's Jett Reno as a Star Trek: Discovery Regular
- Star Trek Producer Comments on Possiblity of a Discovery Movie
- Star Trek: Discovery Producer Addresses The Possibility Of A Movie
- Star Wars and Star Trek: Why are there no seatbelts on spaceships? AMAZING official reason
- 'Star Trek: Short Treks' Review: Did Spock Just Laugh in 'Q&A'?
- Top 10 Vulcans In Star Trek, Ranked
- What Christopher Lloyd Has Done Since Back To The Future
- Star Trek: Discovery Is Bringing Back Deep Space Nine's Alien Races
- Star Trek's Nickelodeon Animated Series Will Tell Serialized Stories
- John Cho Injured on Cowboy Bebop Set, Production Halted
- 10 Worst Outfits In Star Trek, Ranked
- Star Trek: 5 Scientifically Accurate Details (& 5 That Make No Sense)
- 'Jojo Rabbit' Composer Michael Giacchino on Setting the Right Tone
- Star Trek: The Next Generation: Collateral Damage Book Review
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Producer Sets Crime Drama at CBS
- Every Arrow Easter egg and callback in the season 8 premiere
- Nasa unveils new spacesuit for next Moon landing
- Galaxy Quest Documentary Headed to Theaters, Trailer Released
- Star Trek: Picard Can Be Nostalgic (Because Of Discovery)
- Star Trek: Discovery coming to E4 in the UK
- 5 Things In Star Trek TNG That Make No Sense (And 5 Fan Theories That Do)
- Nasa unveils spacesuits to be worn by first woman on the moon
- Star Trek: 10 Crazy Captain Kirk Theories That Have Actually Been Confirmed
- 'Why Women Kill' Renewed for Season 2 at CBS All Access
- NASA: New spacesuits for Artemis moon landing program unveiled today have high-tech features, greater mobility